SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
yukogg

White Marble with Green Crystals-Is this too good to be true?

oneandonly
13 years ago

I have been agonizing over my counter top choice. Easy part was that I knew what I wanted: pure white (no speckles) that is not shiny. But what could it be made of? I've been back and forth between quartz and Corian. I almost went with quartz when a distributor said I could have it honed. Then I realized that I didn't really like the way it felt. It's too hard and cold. So, I finally decided to get a Corian in pure white, even though everyone, including myself, thought I'd regret it later (mainly because of scratches and stains on white). I was having a contractor figure out the estimate, but I was going to go ahead with it regardless as I needed to get something soon anyway.

Then, I saw "the one"!!

This afternoon, after I picked up a sample for my backplash, I went to a stone yard nearby. I just wanted to check out remnant granite for a bathroom counter. Since I'd never considered a natural stone kitchen counter top, that was my very first time ever in a stone yard.

There were many beautiful slabs of stones. I even recognized some from this forum-at least I think I did.

Then, I saw this beautiful white stone with greens in it. I couldn't believe how perfect it would be for my kitchen because my kitchen is to be pure white with green accent and dark wood here and there. When I asked about it, the sales person said it was actually marble and he wouldn't recommend it for in kitchen. BECAUSE...it would not be shiny and polished like the slab I was looking at. I couldn't believe it!! That's exactly what I want!! But I didn't want my hopes up since only thing I knew about marble was that it's expensive. Then he gave me the estimate. It was totally within my budget, including extras like edges and sink mount and drain grooves (I think you use term "runnel" for them?)

It's beautiful and perfect look for my kitchen.

So, right there and then, I put down half to make sure I get the slabs (there were only 3 slabs there and I would need 2 slabs).

But...it is so not me! I don't know anything about marble!!

I tend to mull over everything then some. I spend hours researching online before I make any purchases. I don't know how many GW posts I have read since I discovered you wonderful people. I agonized over sink, hood, garbage disposal, air switch, etc. I looked at hundreds of faucets, online and in person, before finally ordering them.

Oh, and the colors of the greens in the marble and the backsplash tiles are close match.

It took me weeks to locate backplash tiles. I knew exactly what I wanted (glass mosaic with rectangle tiles in various sizes and colors), but I couldn't find any in colors I wanted (green-how hard could it be? apparently very hard). I was this close to make my own (how? I don't know) before I finally find one.

Is this too good to be true?

It looks darker on monitor, but it's quite white in person. There are some very tiny shiny flecks, too. I don't know how to describe the greens, but they are all pretty. What do you think?

Comments (16)