SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bbstx

Super White granite test redux ...and Danby Majestic marble too

bbstx
15 years ago

As some of you know, I tested a piece of Super White granite a couple of weeks ago for etching and staining. Below is a link to that thread. On advice of members of the forum, I got another piece which had been sealed. It was sealed by the granite yard with 511 Impregnator. When I called after the first test, they said the piece had not been resined. But when I went back to get a sample, they said it had been although I did not see the tell-tale drips.

Here are the results of the test:

Unsealed, lemon juice and vinegar made the stone whiter. Sealed, only lemon juice affected the color, although both etched. In fact, lemon juice was the only thing to affect the color.

The following all etched the surface to some degree: Tabasco, white wine vinegar, red wine, mustard, ketchup, beet juice, bourbon, and lemon juice.

Coffee and a curry powder paste made with water did not etch nor did they stain.

I also picked up a piece of Danby Majestic marble. It is an absolutely gorgeous stone. The stone yard sealed it with some proprietary product. I tested it with Tabsco, beet juice, red wine, ketchup, mustard, white wine vinegar, olive oil, curry powder made into a paste, bourbon, lemon slice, and lime slice. EVERYTHING either etched or stained, most substances did both.

I am going to take the sample of Caesarstone Misty Carrera to the office supply store and have them color copy about 12 sheets. Then I am going to lay it out to see if I like it.

Oh, I also got a piece of Bianco Romano, which has been resined but not sealed. The piece I have is not that large, so I only tested vinegar. It did not etch. I liked the slab, but DH wasn't a big fan, and to tell the truth, I wonder if the garnet/plum dots won't be limiting later on.

Here is a link that might be useful: Super White unsealed test results

Comments (12)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!