SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
joyfulguy

How some people can make 35% on some of their money ...guaranteed

joyfulguy
9 years ago

At a "World MoneyShow" in Toronto last month, there were presentations made on various financial topics throughout three days.

Near the end of the last day, as people were gathering just prior to one of the last presentations of the day, I walked up to just in front of the audience, not at the podium, and made an impromptu presentation, asking, "Do you know how some folks can make up to 35% on some of their money ... guaranteed?"! A few said, "No, we don't - most can't get that much".

Quite a few years ago many people got one of those little pieces of plastic with their name and a lot of numbers on it that they can use at many stores to buy things, commonly called a "credit " card. When we first got one, the minute before we used it, we had no debt, as far as that issue was concerned ... and the minute after we'd used it ... we had debt: so it should be called a "debt" card!

A few years ago, it was reported that about 50% of folks in the U.S. paid their balances owing in full at every billing date, and about 60% did in Canada, in which case the card company charges no interest.

For the ones who don't, if they owed $10.00 unpaid after the last billing, and bought an item for $80. the day before the current billing date, the amount owing would be $90.00 ... and the interest charged would be on the full $90.00.

Most regular card issuers, mainly banks, charge 18 - 19% annualized rate on billings (often more on cash advances), calculated monthly, i.e. about 1.5% monthly. If a payment is missed ... or late ... or less than the minimum amount required is paid - extra fees ... as are levied also if one's credit limit is exceeded.

As most of the goods or services that most of us buy using these "debt" cards is not deductible ... we must pay these amounts with after-tax money. So people with marginal income tax rate of 25% must earn about $25.00 on a $100.00 loan, then pay tax of $6.00, to have the $18. - 19.00 required to pay that interest, if one calculates on the annual basis ... before paying off one cent on the loan.

If one uses the "credit"/"debt" cards issued by stores ... most of them charge about 28 - 29% annualized rate, so if one is in 20% marginal tax bracket, one must earn $35.00, then pay 1/5, or $7.00 in tax, in order to have the $28.00 needed to pay the interest on that loan, with not a cent going to pay off the loan.

So ... best to work hard to pay off those "credit"/"debt" card balances in full, in order to avoid paying those rates of interest!

I think, if I recall correctly, that I got a smattering of applause.

ole joyful

Comments (9)