SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
craftylady_2006

Need help with Mom's Old Singer & Finding Fabric

17 years ago

Hi Folks,

I hope you don't mind if I jump in on this forum and ask some questions. I'm usually in the Garden Junk or Crafts & Decorations and other forums in Garden Web.

I have my Mom's old Singer sewing machine from the 50's or 60's. It's a cabinet style and except for the fact that it's probably an operator (that's me) errors, it still works beautifully. I learned a little bit from my Mom and now wish I had watched and learned a lot more, my Mom could sew like a seamstress. I do know how to thread the machine and fill a bobbin and all, the problem is - am I putting the thread on the wrong way at the top - is the thread supposed to be coming from the front or from the back of the spool to the next thread slot it goes to? After that, my biggest problem is the round thingy in the middle of threading it-I think it's the tension wheel. I goof up when putting the thread in that thing. Am I correct, the thread goes through the two middle metal rings? I know after that about the hook and when sewing the hook lifts up or down with the thread. Why does the thread always end up in the back of the wheel, not inbetween the middle metal rings where I threaded it? Can someone tell me the correct number the tension wheel should be at when just doing straight sewing on light material such as muslin? My biggest problem is the bobbin thread always bunching up into a mess under the throat plate. I just can't remember how to put the bobbin in the bobbin spool-does it go in with the thread coming out from the front or from the back? When I use the side wheel to bring the needle down to grab the bobbin thread it works just fine and the bobbin thread comes up like it should. Then when sewing, at a medium or finer stitch, it's fine for awhile and then it bunches up like crazy underneath the thread plate and I end up having to cut it with scissors and cut the mess of thread on the fabric before starting over. What am I doing wrong. The machine was looked at and tension and whatnot corrected a couple of years ago so I know it's just me, operator problems.

My last question is, if you don't mind helping me, is, does anyone know where I can find patchwork fabric with Christmas pictures on it-about 3" X 5" or 4" X 6"? I'd like to cut out the patch with the pic of a Santa or other Christmas scene and sew them onto the front of Christmas stockings? I have searched the internet and came up with a few sites which have larger panels but they're too big for a stocking.

Any responses would be so greatly appreciated and I thank you for your help.

Sal

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville
More Discussions