SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
arlingtonvaremodel

Guidelines for console size under wall-hung big screen TV?

Our 8 year old, 50-inch plasma TV died this weekend, and we are shopping for a new one. The 50-incher (that's the diagonal measurement) was sitting on top of a 60-inch console. The console is part of a "media center" set that we bought last year on closeout at Crate and Barrel, so it's not going to be replaced.

We want to go bigger with the new TV. I know a lot of folks on this forum are not into very visible big screen TVs, but we are huge sports fans and enjoy having parties themed around sports events. So we want to go as big as makes sense for the space that we have (at a price point that works for us). We are looking at 60, 65, 70, or even 75 inches (did I mention we are huge sports fans? I am already excited for the Super Bowl and sad that we won't have it in time for tomorrow's Wimbledon men's final).

All of the guidance I've seen for what size TV stand or console to get seems to be centered around furniture that actually holds the TV. It makes sense to me that if the TV is sitting on the stand, the stand has to be wider than the TV. I also would imagine that it's more visually appealing, even with a wall-hung TV, to have the stand be wider than the TV. But is it absolutely necessary? Would it look terrible to have a TV on the wall that is about 2-3 inches wider on each side beyond the edge of the console? We have shelves to either side of the console, but there is open wall space in between, so we have room to play with.

I'm planning to play around with butcher paper taped on the wall but wanted to see if anyone could point me to some rules of thumb. Guidance appreciated. Thank you!

Comments (27)