SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
emilynewhome

Fireplace wall and large screen TV

emilynewhome
16 years ago

I'm wondering how others have tackled the problem of where to situate the 50" TV screen? Most of the plans we have looked at have fireplaces centered on the wall with only a small area to the side for a TV. Do you eliminate the fireplace? Do you move fireplace to a corner? If not how do you arrange your seating to accomadate TV viewing and fireplace focal point?

Comments (24)

• birdman6165
    16 years ago

I placed my big screen LCD(52") over the fireplace and it looks awsome. My fireplace is done in Travertine tile. When I designed the house I took into consideration where I would locate the TV. Make sure you have all your cables run to where you plan on having the TV.

• Related Discussions

extra TV or large computer screen in kitchen?

Q

Comments (5)
    I'd get a TV, as most new ones today will accept a computer output. They'll have better resolution and compatibility for TV as that sounds like what you do most. Some have a USB slot and ethernet ports so you can hook up to the network. An HDMI cable will allow you get High Def content there too. You'll need a switch of some type if you want to use one DVD player on both TV's. Usually cheaper to just get a dedicated DVD player. Best to enlist a local company or someone like Geek Squad to plot out a course of action for you based on your needs a specific equipment and access to run wires.
    ...See More

Need idea for wall unit to frame 50' flat screen tv

Q

Comments (1)
    I shopped on homefurnituremart.com and got a Parker House Cityscape unit. However, Parker House makes some very large configurable units as well.
    ...See More

fireplace and big screen TV

Q

Comments (3)
    our family room is long and narrow (about 12 ft wide). Here is how we handled that problem. I designed this custom entertainment center and then had the same guy that built my kitchen cabinets build this. It cost me about $4500.00. That is a Direct vent valor fireplace with remote control and a 52" Sharp Aquos TV. The surround of the fireplace is Onyx and it is backlit. We like the fireplace up higher , like you see, as the heat hits us right where we need it. Good Luck!! Gary
    ...See More

Large screen TV on console?

Q

Comments (13)
    Boop - there's no wall space in our family room to mount a tv. All windows and fireplace (brick fp to ceiling, don't want to drill into brick, and it would be much too high anyway). So, stand is all we can do. Youngest is 10, so hoping it won't be a problem. vcheethi - we have narrowed it down to these 2 (note that we are trying not to spend a lot of money on the stand, looking for something decent looking but inexpensive): shorter one: http://www.racksandstands.com/dCOR-design-NP-1608-XSN1024.html taller one (believe it or not, it's from Bob's Discount furniture. Saw it in person and it's actually very nice looking): http://www.mybobs.com/Tahoe_Tvc.aspx
    ...See More
  • kaydles
    16 years ago

We're placing our plasma over our fireplace too.

• emilynewhome
    Original Author
    16 years ago

We had considered that solution, but a while back another member mentioned the shortened lifespan of TV's over the fireplace, regarding the higher temperature transferring to the TV when fireplace is in operation!

• brutuses
    16 years ago

see my post on "Q about room focal points." It may be of help to you. My main thing was not having the TV as the focal point and I managed to design the house so both the FP and TV can be viewed, but when you enter the room there is no mistake what the focal point is.

• ponydoc
    16 years ago

I think this is one of the "hot topics" around here.
    I agree with brutuses - I personally would never design a major room of my house ( other than a theatre room) around a TV. Kind of the same theme as spending the money/mental energy on the things that are permament and less on those that are replaceable- esp things that change as fast as technology changes.

We are building a "new old house" and I didn't want any part of the house to be designed exclusively for any type of media if that makes sense. We do not have a large screen TV though. If I had a 50 inch TV I have no idea where I would put it. We have a 32 inch and it will be in the corner of the family room area with the fire place being the focal point.

Good luck - I know this can be a real issue.

pd

• oruboris
    16 years ago

So far, so good: the dreaded TV/FP thread, and so far no one has been offensive, or offended. Let's try to keep that going...

My personal take it that the TV belongs as near the FP as possible: the FP is the theoretical focal point, but the seating will have a tendency to orient towards the tv, a quarter of an inch at a time.

In my under construction house, the FP is in the center of a wall of windows [eastern exposure, wonderful veiw], and the TV will hang above it, with a painting that covers the screen when not in use.

This does mean that the TV and FP shouldn't be used at the same time, but to me that's an acceptible sacrifice: the fireplace is for contemplation and conversation, the TV is entertainment and information. The FP heat isn't an issue when the TV is off.

I was worried that the TV in this location would be too high, but it looks like it will work out fine: I actually bought the TV early, mounted above my FP in the current house as a test, and like it there very much. It's a little problematic if you are within [say] 6 feet-- you have to look up a bit more than is ideal-- but at normal distances, its just fine.

The problem in my house is placing the components since most of the rest of the wall is doors or windows: I'd planned on putting them iside the mantle, but that would be a problem if I ever wanted to move the television. So the satelite feeds [etc] are going quite a ways a way, and a pair of one inch electric conduit from there to the TV location will allow us to change out the feeds if needed.

I know a lot of people dislike this solution, and that's fine: to each their own-- I'm just reporting what works for me.

• allison0704
    16 years ago

TV + FP can = good sometimes. We have a wood burning FP but put in gas logs since DH was tired of real wood after 20+ years. We live in the south, so it's only been turned on maybe three times in 27 mths. Sofa is about 22ft from FP so it's not too high. 6" lower would have been perfect though. Shuttered door in wall, right of FP, houses tv/DISH equipment and stores DVDs.

{{gwi:1403060}}

{{gwi:1403061}}

• eventhecatisaboy
    16 years ago

In our current home, in our family room,(small family room), the fireplace is the focal point. We just got a plasma and it is in a corner built in cabinet to the left of the fireplace,(can't remember the size of the tv, but when it was first set up, my boys stood like robots next to their Dad, who was drooling like a love sick teen, in shock/awe at the new tv. Now everyone that visits our home must race to the family room--or more like they are dragged by a 3 year old-- to see the tv/shrine! LOL! Wish books had that reaction--esp. on the older boys!).

• Phobie Privett
    16 years ago

Okay, I believe I have committed the greatest design/decorating faux pax known to mankind...We have a 73" big screen (no, I WISH I were kidding, but I'm not) next to our FP. My husband NEEDED to fill the built in next to our FP with every bit of TV possible and he definately succeeded!

But you know, it honestly doesn't bother a darn bit! They say you should put some black in every room to anchor it, and I just use the giant black TV to fufill that decorating rule!! :) Our room is large (20x25) and it handles the huge TV and FP with no problem.

I know many people might disagree, but I think it looks fine. Besides, I wasn't about to give up finally having a FP and my family never would have given up the tv! Haha!

Please disregard the terrible lighting/color of my pic. I'm having to use DD cheapo camera and it takes terrible pics! But you get the idea.
    {{gwi:1403062}}

• allison0704
    16 years ago

Man, that is one BIG tv! ...and to think I was complaining about our 42"! lol

• oruboris
    16 years ago

I don't think it's a faux pas at all, and I like the way the wood tones of the entertainment center co-ordinates with the trim.

Yeah, it's big, but when there's a fire burning and the TV is off, I don't think the TV will be a distraction, and won't interfere with a quiet evening in front of the fire.

A lot of designer types don't want to see a TV outside a special media room, ever: to me, that's just a sign that they don't really appreciate the fact that rooms are to be lived in, and not just looked at.

• amyks
    16 years ago

I'm so proud. Everyone is playing nice! I think you should put the tv where you will be comfortable viewing it. It's your house, make sure it fits your lifestyle. My meaning is if you like to watch the tube in the evening or during the day or whenever, where do you like to sit? Arrange things accordingly. We have a lot of windows and therefore not much choice. I have a substantial fireplace, and my 37 inch tv is in the corner.

The 50 inch is relegated to the basement...

Amy

• emilynewhome
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks for all the input, and photos Allison and Superchick. The two plans we are considering have large family rooms 20X20 so there will be plenty of room for both.

• lyds
    16 years ago

We had this same situation and decided to put a corner fireplace and a big screen tv in a cabinet that can be closed while we have company. We have large windows on the back of the house and didn't want anything blocking our view. In our current home we have the fireplace and tv on perpendicular walls and hate it. We move the furniture constantly and never get it right. As I read in a book once.."you do not sit and stare at the fireplace, it gives ambiance. you do sit and stare at the tv, it needs to be in a good location for viewing". I hope that helps.

• landp
    16 years ago

I have to ditto lyds's frustration with the perpendicular TV and FP. After years of rearranging the living room furniture, I finally angled the rug and sofa, and the chair that has its side to the TV is a rocker, so it can be turned easily. But I don't want a rocker; I want a substantial, cushy, comfy chair! Building now, and have the TV over FP! It will also be concealable, like allison0704's, so it won't be the focal point of the room unless we're watching it.
    BTW, Allison, brilliant idea with the very groovy door! And, do you have the TV hung on a flat wall, or is there a recess behind it at all?

• txgal06
    16 years ago

Oh Alison, you know I love your house! I've seen your FR before but never asked if you would give details on the enclosure above the fireplace. The only way I'll give an affirmative vote for the tv over the fireplace is if I can cover it when not in use or when entertaining. I haven't found anything I really like except those really expensive paintings that are automated. I really don't want to spend that much. Is your cover custom on rails? I assume it slides from the looks of the picture.

• jasonmi7
    16 years ago

No....the TV should be the center focal point. It's everything.

{{gwi:1403063}}

• lindybarts
    16 years ago

I somehow missed this thread!

Superchick! LOL! Once again, you and I are on the same page. Your room looks fantastic!

We love our 52" TV next to our fireplace. But we are TV people. ;c)

• Phobie Privett
    16 years ago

Lindy-it's all getting a little creepy, don't you think? LOL!!
    :) We are two peas in a pod! Thanks for the kind words. I'm ready to post some pics, but if you recall, my really good camera got stolen, and all I have is DD's, which is junk. So it may be a while! Isn't that stupid..."I can't post pics until they look JUST right..."

OT-I posted my pic directly into my post, but now it's giving a link to all my pics in photobucket. How'd that happen??

• lindybarts
    16 years ago

I know exactly what you mean about wanting to get the rooms just right and perfect camera shots. It's alot of pressure isn't it? I don't think it's stupid at all. I get it!

Sometimes photobucket linked my albums too. I've been sticking with Shutterfly now but weird things happen over there too.

Looking forward to photos whenever YOU are ready! ;c)

• slc2053
    16 years ago

lindybarts and others...how do you avoid glare on the tv?

• allison0704
    16 years ago

Lyds, Thank you. The tv is recessed in a niche we put in during construction. DH picked out tv width and we went from there. We'll never do one larger, but there is a little room on each end and even more top/bottom.

I went from trying to find an antique folding screen to having a four panel folding screen made using wallpaper but never found the perfect pattern. I ordered a screen from Gump's and the colors were horrible when it arrived. TWO years I tried to come up with a solution and FINALLY I wake up in the middle of the night and it came to me!

TxGal, Thanks! I had a thread on Decorating but I can't locate for whatever reason. It was custom. They made the shutter into a door to hide the tv equipment and DVDs also. It's on sliders. I have no idea who they ordered them from. The sliders are attached to 2"x2" strips of wood. They built the sliding panels sort of box-like in that the side/top/bottom are to the wall. In other words, when you're coming in the front door you see the side of the panel and it looks like a wide picture molding.

slc2053, we don't have a problem with glare since the house faces south and we have a deep veranda. Also have window film across the back side of house.

Found the thread:

Here is a link that might be useful: Decorating Forum Thread

• mavs_fan
    16 years ago

I'm probably too late to be of any benefit now, but just in case you are still looking for ideas I'll share a pic of our family room: