SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lwerner_gw

Sanity check, please

lwerner
12 years ago

Hi all,

This is my first post, though I've been lurking for a while. I'm in the design process on a huge remodel / expansion of a house I just bought. It's a great location and a huge lot (by bay area standards) but an old, tiny, and somewhat run-down house. The remodel is going to add a totally new great room, kitchen, and master suite, so it's almost like getting a brand-new, custom house.

I want to get a sort of a sanity check on the kitchen / dining area that my architect has proposed. It's an unconventional design that I found weird at first but grew to like after doing a model of it in SketchUp. Let me see if I can paste in the floor plan here:

A few notes:

• The area at the top right, at the funny angle, is the dining area. It will have big corner windows, assuming I can afford them.

• Off to the left is the living / family area. It extends about 18 feet past the end of the counters. To make the areas feel a bit distinct and not be one huge barn, the ceilings will be different. The living area will have a cathedral ceiling, and the kitchen / dining area will have a 10' or 11' flat ceiling. At the dividing line the ceiling will be 9' high. (There's going to be a big beam up there holding up the cathedral ceiling roof, and the flat ceiling has to be at least 12-18" above the bottom of the beam to make the roofs tie together right.)
  • I'm thinking of putting a medium-size sink at the lower-left corner of the island, with a hot/cold water dispenser. Sort of a combination bar / prep sink.
  • The area labeled "oven" will be a wall oven, probably a convection oven / microwave combo.
  • The fridge next to it will probably counter-depth, maybe with a cabinet sort of thing built around it if that's possible, so the left side of the fridge isn't as visible to the dining area. (A built-in fridge might be a possibility too, but a) they're crazy expensive, and b) I haven't found one with the features I want.)
  • That door at the lower left leads to a pantry that's roughly 6'w x 4'd
  • The doors at the top lead to a patio.

This layout isn't perfect, but I think I like it. The negatives I can see are:

• The corner sink. I don't think that will bother me too much while working at it, and I don't plan on spending too much time there. The main down-side I see is that while someone is at the sink it will be hard for anyone else to sneak in and get some water or whatever. I thought about putting the main sink on the island but I'd rather keep that for prep space since that's a more social activity. I also thought about putting it on the south wall (right side of the drawing) but that wouldn't leave room for the fridge and oven.

• The fridge is kind of off to the side, making the "work triangle" a bit wide. (Are "work triangles" the in thing in kitchen design any more, or is it all "zones" now?) I thought about putting...

Comments (16)