SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sequoia_2007

technique for accurate placement of ledger

sequoia_2007
14 years ago

I am replacing a ledger that supports a 4x6 beam as part of a repair project. I will be using 5/8â hot dipped galvanized threaded rod imbedded 7â into the 8â thick grouted CMU wall using Simpson SET-PAC-EZ Adhesive.

QUESTIONS:

I have to drill þâ holes horizontally in the grouted CMU wall to insert the 5/8â hot dipped galvanized bolts. This will leave a 1/8â space between the top of the threaded rod and the top of the þâ bored hole and no space between the bottom of the threaded rod and the bottom of the hole. I donâÂÂt see any way to center the 5/8â threaded rod in the þâ hole. Does it matter if the threaded rod is not centered on the axis of the þâ hole?

The placement of the new ledger needs to be very accurate so there is a tight fit between the top of the ledger and the new 4x6 beam and the joists the beam supports. What is the best way to accomplish this? I was thinking about waiting for the adhesive for the 5/8â bolts to set then sliding the new 4x6 ledger into position and taping it just hard enough to mark the exposed ends of the 5/8â threaded rods so they leave an impression on the 4x6 ledger. Then I would locate the center of the 5/8â impressions and drill 5/8â holes. Is this a good method? I suspect the accuracy of this method could be hit or miss.

Thank you for taking the time to read my post and consider my questions.

Howard

EXISTING LEDGER

REPLACEMENT LEDGER

Comments (15)