SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
skaun

Where to Buy Granite Countertop Support Brackets in CHICAGO

skaun
9 years ago

I know this is last minute and it might be crazy to post this, but please... no lectures.

SHORT VERSION:
Where can I find countertop support plates for a granite installation in Chicago, IL. I would like something that can not be seen, so the plates are preferable. I need this tomorrow. I've gone to Home Depot, Menards, Ace Hardware and they don't have it. I even called granite installers and the people who answer the phone don't seem to know what it is. My installers will be here tomorrow and I don't have the luxury of online orders.

LONG VERSION:
I'm getting my granite countertops installed tomorrow and it's a counter top with a raised breakfast bar. From wall to end, it's about 132 inches so it will be 2 pieces. it's an L shape and the smaller(straight) piece will be placed against the wall...the longer piece is an L shape. The depth of the counter will be 18". The base of the L is actually about 7" wide. Also, only about 11" sticks out unsupported as the bar top overlaps the base counter. +hope this makes sense.+

When the granite guys did the measurement, they said support was not really needed - especially with the long piece - since the base of the L counterbalances it. The shorter piece also does not need it. I've read on here that the countertop support is recommended and I've asked a few times. He said it's optional if you want to be really really really careful, but my counter does not need it.

I've read that any 3mm counters that hang over 10" require brackets which is why I'm in panic mode. I've tried changing the appt because I can't believe this is so difficult to find and it's a bit late to change. I want to use invisible support and I think this need to be done before the granite is installed. When I spoke to the installer, he said he can put a 2x4 or some wooden piece during the install and when I get the support plate, I can just have someone add it. This does not even make sense to me

I hope I'm just panicking for no reason, but please let me know what I can do tomorrow short of not answering my door when they get here. :)

PS: The attached image was taken from a post made by NYMK last year. I hope it's okay. Sorry, if this is against the rules.

Comments (3)