SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
melissat99

Layout 1 or 2? (or something else all together...)

melissat99
11 years ago

Thank you to liriodendron and herbflavor for responding to my earlier thread looking for overall layout help (thread here). I'm currently considering 2 variations on an island based layout and am wondering which option others would pick (or if you would do something different all together.)

A few additional notes:
-We are a family of 4 with 2 small children. We are not avid cookers, but do cook at home a lot and the kids like to help.
-We tend towards more informal entertaining but do like to have friends over, and want a space that lets folks mingle easily between kitchen, family room and yard.
-The table, bench & chairs in the layouts are our current table and I think they fit in the breakfast nook, but if they don't work in reality we will move them to the dining room and get a new table for that space, but we do want kitchen table seating.
-The blue lines above the sink along the wall represent an existing 28wx29h window centered over that sink
-There is an existing hood at the cooktop location
-Adding the prep sink to the island requires installing drains into a concrete slab
-The tall pantry next to the Prep sink in Layout 2 would be for family stuff rather than food (i.e. a mudroom type function), and this pantry could be widened if a prep sink in this layout is unnecessary
-The cleanup sink along the wall would be a single bowl if there is a prep sink present, and a 70/30 split double bowl if not.

And I apologize for the quality of my images - I can't currently install layout software on my computer, so these were created using excel. Key points there are that the cabinet to pantry width should be 2" wider than shown (68" rather than 66"), and I intend for the cooktop to island distance to be 39" rather than the 36" shown but haven't figured out how to place lines in the middle of cells.

I've included the current and proposed layouts below, as well as 2 pictures of the current kitchen. Thanks for your help!

Current Layout:

Layout 1:

Layout 2:

Current Kitchen panorama:

View into Kitchen with Peninsula Upper Doors removed:

Comments (12)