SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
shaknzmom

Should I increase work hours?

shaknzmom
18 years ago

Both of our kids do very well in school and want to go (and we expect them to go) to college. They are currently 14 and 11. There is NO way we can pay for college. Neither my husband or myself are college grads, so our income is okay but not great. We moved to a "better" school area so the kids would possibly have a better pre-college education, and with this move came a big house payment.

My husband has a good F/T job and I work P/T so I can volunteer in the kids' schools/events. My husband is bugging me to work F/T as the kids are older and don't need me there as much. However, my friends that already have kids in college tell me that I SHOULD NOT go to work F/T because our kids won't be eligible for as much financial help...loans, grants, whatever, when it comes time for school.

My husband wants/needs a new vehicle and my working more hours could make that happen. But I know our history and am sure that any 'new' money I bring in will just be spent and then we'll be right back where we are now AND the kids will be less eligible for financial help when the time comes.

I am NOT one of those people that wants something for nothing! I don't want to abuse any 'system'. People that don't want to work so they can be given things for nothing irritate me...I'm perfectly happy to work. I just feel like making sacrifices NOW beats the kids having even more after-college debt LATER....Does anyone have any thoughts on this? :)

Thanks for your input-

shak

Comments (8)

Sponsored
Traditional Hardwood Floors LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Your Industry Leading Flooring Refinishers & Installers in Columbus