SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
skeptigirl

external siding comparison/opinion?

skeptigirl
18 years ago

It's wet here and vinyl siding isn't recommended but...

One contractor is recommending a "composite" called Cedar Ridge. I see it's made by Crane who also make 3 other versions the contractor didn't mention. And there is Nalite siding on Bob Vila's site that also sounds like a similar product.

I can't find anything easily on the net comparing these products with each other, with vinyl, or with Hardie Board.

My goal is low maintenance but I'll take painting Hardie board over potential vinyl leaking or looking cheap. The composites though look OK and have long warranties.

One contractor said the trim and soffits would remain uncovered wood if they put the Hardie Board up, the other said they'd wrap the fascia with aluminum and put vinyl over the soffits.

The contractor wanting to use the Cedar Ridge product claimed they'd have to take off the plywood siding that is on the house now and the Hardie Board wouldn't offer any earthquake stability if they used that product, while with the Cedar Ridge they'd leave the plywood up. Current siding is plywood with vertical cedar strips for appearance, with lap siding over the peaks. The plywood offers shear strength for quakes and yes we do have quakes here.

The same contractor says the Cedar Ridge adds R4 value and the Hardie Board offers very little insulation. The bids for either product are similar so they aren't asking for a lot more money for the Cedar Ridge but who knows if their profit margin is larger.

So...Hardie Board, or whatever the composite product is that appears similar to vinyl but supposedly isn't? Thanks in advance.

Comments (9)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!