SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ironjawedwoman

DIY Plans for Custom Range Hood?

ironjawedwoman
18 years ago

Does anyone have any DIY Custom Range Hood Plans? I can't find anything on the internet anywhere!! I am trying to write my steps out in a Word document and then will share them with anyone if I could just get a little help. Surely there are others who want to create this themselves rather than pay big bucks to someone else?

I want to build a 36" wide range hood to fit over a Broan Wood Hood Kit, Model 103023. It will vent a 30" gas range. I had thought the Hood Kit would have had enough info to design and make it (just make a wooden box to cover the kit, right?) ARRRGH!

While I am diligent and hardworking, I am not greatly skilled, experienced or talented in woodworking. The logistics of creating the angles/attaching the plywood pieces together on the sloped hood, attaching it to the hood insert/liner kit, hanging this decorative hood cover, and ensuring it is safe (fire & not falling on the cook) are all boggling my mind.

I plan for the range hood decorative cover to be plywood, with a stucco or venetian plaster finish, and 5+" of carved hardwood trim around the bottom, and some sort of a wooden crown molding or trim at the top.

Preliminary dimensions:

-Vent up through a 7'11" ceiling, about 28" over a standard gas stove

- 35 7/8" wide at the bottom

- 24" wide at the top

- about 14" deep at the top (front to back)and

- about 21" deep at the bottom end.

Planned Steps:

1) Partially building the range hood: Creating the full back panel shape out of plywood, then attaching a 1" x 6" trim box on the bottom that has hood liner and blower attached,

2) Attaching wood 1" x 2" or 1 x 6"s to create a triangle-shaped framing (the approximate shape of the range hood )on the wall (attached to studs).

3) Attaching a L-shaped black metal piece on the bottom of the triangle framing that will serve as a lip for the range hood to be set on and screwed to.

4) Attaching the partially-built range hood on the wall by setting it on & screwing it to the metal L-shape, the triangle framing & and the adjacent wall cabinets.

5) Attaching the plywood decorative panels on each side of the hood by screwing them into the side edge of the 1" x 2"

6) Somehow setting the front plywood decorative panel on (how?)

7) Boxing in the top at the ceiling with 1 x 2's and screwing it into the decorative panels so they stay fitted together in the right angles.

8) Add plaster and paint on top of the decorative panels

9) Finish up with trim at the bottom and top of the range hood.

My worst bugaboo is that I don't know how people attach 2 wood pieces together if they aren't either flat or on a 90 degree angle. For example, where the front panel attaches to the bottom trim box, or the right and left panels attach to the front panel.

Then, for fire safety I hear it should be 30" above the range, but for fan effectiveness it should be a maximum of 24" above??!

Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks so much.

Gina

Comments (13)