SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
provenance_gw

Lighter oak furniture on darker oak floors? (CL find)

provenance
14 years ago

Well, we made the decision on Tuesday to go with a darker stain on our red oak floors. It is a mix of 70% English chestnut and 30% special walnut -- the result is a little lighter than chestnut but still has the nice warm auburn cast. I saw it yesterday through the windows (not allowed to walk inside yet) -- it does look lovely.

We are planning to go with mostly darker reddish oak furniture and/or espresso finish. Style is a mix of mission and contemporary (would like to maybe incorporate some Asian pieces later). We need to find a dining set, counter stools, and living room set.

Wouldn't you know it, yesterday I found a listing on CL for a lovely mission style oak dining set (table expands to seat 8, four chairs) and breakfront (lighted). It is only $500. I asked about the finish, they said medium oak (golden), although to me it looked a bit darker in the photos.

What do you think, could this still work? It is a great price and would allow us to spend on other furniture, and I would love having the breakfront too. Or would the finish not look right on our darker floors? Our walls are SW Blonde, a lovely golden color. House is open plan so dining area is open to kitchen and LR. Kitchen cabs are dark cherry.

Any thoughts? (Kicking myself now and hoping I made the right decision on those floors, not limiting our color choices)

Amy

Comments (9)

Sponsored
Castle Wood Carpentry, Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County