SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
barbb_gw

Need Roofing Material Help

barbb
17 years ago

Hello everyone,

We need to replace approximately 2500 square feet of shake shingle roofing, and could really use some advice about what would be the best material to use. We live on the ocean in northern California and after 30 years of wind and ocean air the staples that were originally used are now rusted and the shakes are falling off a little more each year. I suggested just stapling others on, but have been told that this is not an option because of how they are laid, and stapled to begin with.

My husband brought home some composition samples, but boy I really, really don't want to use them. Unfortunately, we live in a remote area where there is no source for roofing material close by other than the composition so I'm open to what ever suggestions you might have.

Since the whole exterior of the house is redwood including the roof shakes I would like to use something that would compliment the existing look. I understand there is a "fake" slate material that is supposed to hold up well and doesn't cost and arm and a leg that might work.

I'm doing this search behind my husband's back, and would love to offer him some other choices other than the composition he's talking about using.

Thanks for any help you can give this out of her element wife who is literally trying to keep a roof over her happy home.

BarbB

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz