SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
loveswindowsanddogs_gw

I hear RATS under my kitchen...

I am starting a kitchen remodel in the next few days; my home was built in mid to late 1920's. My kitchen is over a small old unfinished basement that probably housed a boiler (for radiators) once upon a time. The rest of the house is over a very tight crawl space which can be accessed through the basement (accessed from outside the house). One of the big issues to be addressed in the kitchen remodel will be leveling the floors which will involve removing hardwood, subfloors and other chaos. I know that there have been rats under the house and I JUST HEARD ONE (or other varmint) scratching against a joist or other piece of wood. Over the years, there have been a variety of critters (in addition to rats) under houses in the area including possums and raccoons.

I am freaked out that he and his friends will view the open floor space as an invitation to move inside where it is warmer. We have put rat bait in the basement and crawl space on a regular basis, but it is impossible to permanently eradicate the issue. I never want bait where my pups might find it.

Anyone have any tips to scare them off and away? I have heard about merchants playing classical music in parking lots to run off loitering teens and mall stores playing loud music to run off grown ups.

Ugh. The demo has been delayed because I came down with the flu. I have a couple of days to implement a battle strategy.

Please send advice!

Comments (7)