SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
patioplants

Don't judge me but.. faux garage door?

patioplants
10 years ago

So I bought my first house a few months ago for a great price, due to the shambles the poor house was in. I have been slowly working through the deconstruction phase.

The single car garage/laundry area was converted into a utility room at the back of the old garage and an open room next to the living room near the front of the house. The existing (30+ year old) wood garage door was basically just caulked into place and a wall build behind it. The floor was raised to the house level with a wood frame and plywood on the slab. The floor was removed this last weekend (horrific, moldy, disgusting mess, complete with those lovely southern roaches and a FROG living under there in the moistness that has yet to evaporate out of the concrete with my dehumidifier running), so the step down into the garage is back. I want to rebuild the wall between the garage and the living room.

With all of that said: I don't mind not having a garage because there is a shed in the back yard, and enough parking for my and my fiance's cars. We are thinking of building a fake garage door (carriage door style) and rebuilding the wall behind it. We looked at other houses that had the converted garage, and I think that a garage ALWAYS looks like it is a garage. I do not like the door/window and siding as a replacement for it. Getting a brick mason to come in and do the job is a possibility, but I would like to be able to sell the house with the option to convert it back to a garage. We would add the concrete "lip" to the bottom of the door and then seal up the door/insulate all the outer walls. I was concerned about the moisture in the concrete coming from the door, but it has rained here the last few days and I am pretty confident that the moisture had leaked from the utility room out the door (I experienced this when I had the water turned on and all of the appliances were disconnected... not pretty). Of course, I am not ready to go out and do this now so I will be monitoring this moisture situation. We are probably just going to stain or paint the concrete floor in the room, too.

Has anyone done anything like this? Thoughts? Issues? Honestly, if the garage was still in tact, I wouldn't be thinking about this, but since it was already converted we are seeing what the options are. Thanks!

Comments (9)