SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
karyn_gw

Trash these window valances!

karyn
10 years ago

One of the easy (and hopefully affordable) things I can do to freshen up these two rooms is to get rid of the bulky window valances. The one in the dining room is 8' wide only hides a curtain rod holding a sheer so it is of less concern - however the one in the family room hides the top rail of an 18 foot wide set of vertical blinds. I'm terrified that if I take the valance down it will look horrendous. Whatever small modesty panel valance that might have come with original set of blinds is gone decades ago - along with the original owner of this house's mind.

Things to consider.

1. I hate vertical blinds, but see no alternative on an 18' wide wall of windows.

2. This entire 18' wall of windows, slides completely open (pocket door style - no fixed panels) to adjoin a massive covered lanai and screened in pool area.

3. The house does not back up to other houses - it is on a golf course - set back 60+ yards from a green. Lots of privacy and highly unlikely the vertical blinds will ever be closed - the lanai is so deep and in shadows in daylight you just cannot possibly see inside the house unless you are out on the golf course in the dark and the lights are all on in the house. The back of the house also faces North - no direct sun - always in shade. It's in Florida.

All this said - I can't help but feel almost obligated to leave the blinds or do some other kind of window covering for that big wall - but am also struggling with the "if it ain't broke - don't fix it" mentality - and limited budget. Being such a massive wall of glass, it's also very hard to visualize any type of covering other than what's already there.

Suggestions anyone? (When we rework the house we are going for British/Island Colonial style...)

Disclaimer - this is not my stuff in the house - we are in escrow...

Comments (20)