SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bettycbowen

Starting remodel - particle board!

bettycbowen
16 years ago

Today we started the demo-part of remodeling my childhood home, a well built mid-century ranch. Estate sale out front, demolition inside, large red dumpster in the yard (very handy at the end of the estate sale!) SO & I survived and are still speaking.

We knew we had a serious problem with the floor joists along the exterior wall of a master bedroom suite added in the 70's, and thought it was dry rot so planned all along that this was where we would start. However, when SO tore out the closets/carpet that are over the worst part of that area, he discovered the builders had not only not excavated enough underneath (crawlspace on the high side of a slope), but had only laid down Particle Board over the crawlspace! Of course it simply dissolved. I mean this stuff is under the toilet and bathtub too! It is truly amazing that the damage is as limited as it is, especially after thirty years, but of course we will replace it all. This probably also means I will have to rebuild the window seat (between floor to ceiling bookshelves) I hadn't intended to change, and tear out a beautiful double-arched built-in book case my father made. But, I know structural integrity is more important. I'm sure glad we don't have a deadline here - also we aren't living in the house while we work on it. Good grief!

Comments (2)