SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
alexagrn_gw

Our architect screwed up. Now what?

alexagrn
10 years ago

We have been planning on building a very small addition (aprox. 75 sq. ft.) to our master bathroom. We currently have very little closet space in the master bedroom, so the addition would give us a walk-in closet and a slightly larger bathroom.

We hired an architect/engineer during the summer (who came highly recommended by our contractor) to draw up the plans. Our architect assured us that the applicable setback requirement was 5 feet, so the plans were designed based on that. We spent many weeks working with him on the design of the new closet/bathroom addition. We've paid him $3,500 to date, and are supposed to pay him an additional $500 upon the city's approval of the plans. Our architect repeatedly assured us that obtaining the permit would not be a problem and said the plans would probably even be approved over the counter.

Our architect submitted the plans over a month ago, and we found out yesterday that the plans have been rejected because they do not comply with setback requirements. Apparently, there are special zoning requirements for our immediate neighborhood that do not apply to the rest of the city. Those requirements mandate a 10 foot setback, rather than a 5 foot setback. At this point, it does not appear there is any way to modify the plans because our exterior wall is currently already 10 feet from the property line, and our plan was to go out another 5 feet. So, at this point, it seems like we cannot do the addition. We're very upset by this news since we've been planning this remodel/addition for many months now, and have already purchased materials for the remodel based on our architect's assurances that the plans would be approved without a problem. In addition, we've now paid our architect $3,500 for nothing.

Are my husband and I right to be furious at the architect about this? It seems to us that determining the setback requirements would be the first thing that an architect should do before starting plans, and that he should have thoroughly investigated whether there were any special zoning requirements applicable to us. If he had done this, and we had discovered the 10 foot requirement, we would have scrapped the idea all together and never gone through with plans. Unless this somehow gets resolved, our inclination is to demand that he give us our $3,500 back. Does that seem reasonable?

Also, our architect has suggested that we consider filing for a variance with the city. Has anyone gone through this process before? I have a call out to the city planner to determine the likelihood of success were we to do this, and I'm sure it differs from city to city, but I'm wondering if it's even worth bothering, especially since applying for the variance costs $2k. We don't want to throw even more money at this if we don't have any chance of success.

Any feedback/thoughts anyone has would be much appreciated.

Comments (22)