SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
zazutoo_gw

Kitchen cabinet layout -- Advice please

zazutoo
13 years ago

My house was built in 1929. It is charming and inviting but the kitchen is a bad, early 90s renovation that is falling apart. I want a lovely kitchen, efficient and useful and a bit quirky. I want a powder room (only bathroom is on the second floor) and a laundry room on the first floor. My architect has come up with a very nice design for the space, one that keeps to the spirit of the house and gives me room. The size and shape of the addition are dictated by the size of my small, back garden and the placement of my garage. Most of the kitchen is in the new addition. I love the esthetic of Susanka’s Not So Big House. Work on the kitchen is part of an extensive first floor renovation.

Remodel goals and ideas: 
-A really good cooking kitchen for one cook with adequate storage and ample counter space

-A powder room (toilet and sink) and laundry room on the first floor 
-Storage on the first floor in the new mud room for coats and seasonal clothing, table linens and some towels, and the vacuum, broom, and mop (right now, there is no closet or storage space at all). A place for cat and (small) dog beds, food, and littler box. (Most of this will go in the laundry room.)
-A skylight in the kitchen.

-For the kitchen, I want white, inset cabinets. I was really smitten with soap stone for my counters but saw a laminate counter with a metal band trim. This is so perfect for the house and it is now a strong contender. A new floor for the kitchen which will be in the addition (possibly wood to match the rest of the house but not absolutely) 
-I am going to use my 70 year old kitchen table for breakfast seating, additional cooking and serving space, and home work doing. It is old formica with the metal band around the table top.

The family: 
We are my 10 year old daughter and myself (A grown daughter may move back home for grad school). I cook but my daughter likes to help and also likes to be in the kitchen. I have a white board set up for her in the kitchen so she can draw while I cook. A place for another white board or chalk board for her is important.

The way the house it set up at present, we eat all of our meals in the dining room. We would continue to eat evening meals there, but I want to use the kitchen table for weekday breakfasts and casual eating. I also like to entertain and would like it to be easy to have guests in the kitchen while I prepare meals.

My daughter is on the autism spectrum and her therapy brings therapists to our house 25 hours a week. We also love company and our house can have extra people dropping by at any time.

Kitchen and Appliances: 
My stove and refrigerator which are both white and a few years old are adequate for the present. I am not going to change them now; however, I will leave room for a larger french door refrig. I want to find a used dishwasher also in white to last until one of the other appliances wears out or I find the money to replace all of them. Eventually, I want to have stainless appliances.

Here is the layout of the first floor. The layout of the kitchen was put in by my architect as an example, not as a design. Rooms placement and sizes cannot be changed, nor can walls be moved. The door between the kitchen and the laundry/mud room is now an arch.

{{gwi:1826535}}

Next up, the first layout of the kitchen cabinets. The dotted line for the sky light is an indication of where a skylight could be located. The kitchen table drawn in the middle of the room is the correct size of my existing table.

{{gwi:1826536}}

The windows of the sink wall look out on the back garden.

{{gwi:1826539}}

This is the stove wall and the short wall on the other side of the arch (that leads to the laundry/mud room.

{{gwi:1826541}}

Any thoughts or opinions about the layout would be appreciated.

Suzanne

Comments (6)

Sponsored
High Point Cabinets
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
Columbus' Experienced Custom Cabinet Builder | 4x Best of Houzz Winner