SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tricialp

Will our Renovation end in Divorce

tricialp
14 years ago

This is a long cry for advice so be warned.

A couple years ago "we" purchased a 1919 four square with 5 acres of farm land on a highway at the edge of town. I had many concerns because the dog damage was extensive and many people could not even complete a walk through due to odor. Keep in mind I am INCREDIBLY sensitive to smells and suffer allergies. The windows badly need replaced, old metal siding etc. My husband felt this was all fixable and is an AVID do it yourselfer. We had a home and I told him my concerns but to go forward because we wanted to move into the town he works and where our kids attend school. My stand was if it didn't work out we might need to sell it.

We are now in this home, the other was sold. The reno included ripping out the old floors, installing a central heating and cooling system, a new well, basically a total gut job.

The money is out, still needs siding and windows. The asian beetles and occasional mouse drive me insane and make it feel filthy to me. There is also some strange sent in an upstairs bedroom (ours) that makes it impossible for me to sleep there. I don't even feel we can get ahead of maintenance issues. The water smells of sulfur (tried various remedies to the softener and water heater). Now a small (very small) leak in the roof over the attic. We haven't even had the time to install the new dishwasher that I have had since July! I could go on but I think you can get the picture.

The way I see it to get the home finished to my standards will take years. I am not the kind of person who can handle that. It makes me angry every day. We are considering refinancing to pay for the updates we have made but that does not do anything in way of siding, doors, windows, insulation. My dh has put his all into it and will be bitter if we sell it. To his credit the transformation is amazing. I am bitter staying. I want to look at all sides and thought someone removed from the situation might have some things to consider that I have not.

We are sad, mad, and broken. Perhaps I just need some inspiration. Oh if anyone knows how too keep those darn beetles out please tell me! We have had the house sprayed but they still come in and stink!

Comments (9)