SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pam29011

Moving stairs in a Cape - Huge $$$?

12 years ago

We're going to add a dormer to the front of our Cape style house and the style I'm leaning toward is a Nantucket dormer (it's basically 2 dog-house dormers connected by a shed dormer, and the shed dormer face is stepped back from the face of the dog-house dormers).

The stairs in our cape are in the middle of the first floor, so you open the front door and say, "Hello Stairs!" That means the shed dormer portion of the Nantucket dormer will be sort of wasted because it will be over these stairs (not really adding living space to the upstairs).

So I had a crazy idea ... why not slide the stairs to one side of the house? Then they would line up under a section of the roof that isn't changing, and the upstairs would be easier to lay out. The traffic flow would be better on the first floor, too, because the central stairs are in between the living and dining room. If they were moved to one side of the house we could have a more open concept and get better sightlines in the house. And the front door would open to a room, not a stairwell.

But something tells me that moving stairs is a horrendously expensive and God-awful thing to do to a house (even if you have them running parallel to the floor joists just like they are currently configured).

We're starting to look for a design/build firm in the next couple of weeks. Can anyone save me from either 1) Looking like a total idiot by suggesting a hugely expensive & nearly impossible task OR 2) Settling for a half-decent option because I'm unreasonably afraid of moving a staircase?

Background: House was build mid-1960's, goal of adding dormers is to achieve 3 normal sized bedrooms and a decent sized full bath upstairs. Currently the upstairs has 1 tiny bathroom with original fixtures, 2 shrimpy bedrooms suitable for a twin bed (1 with sloped ceiling) on one side of the stairs and 1 large bedroom on the other side of the stairs. House is 36' wide, not massive by any stretch so dormer needs to be scaled appropriately.

Thanks in advance!

-Pam

Comments (9)