SHOP BY DEPARTMENT
Houzz Logo Print
chloe5_gw

How do you make a room that is the color of an Easter Egg look...

chloe5
12 years ago

sophisticated?

Just shoot me and put me out of my misery. Yes, I'm the person looking for 'cheerful' colors, but I had this back bedroom I wanted to paint a pensive and thoughtful grey-blue-lavender. I chose BM Touch of Grey. Touch of Grey doesn't say anything about PINK or EASTER EGG. Why don't these paint colors come with warnings? WARNING: USE OF THIS COLOR WILL RESULT IN YOUR ROOM LOOKING LIKE A FREAKING EASTER EGG! You know something like that would help a lot.

Anyway, long story short, no time to really repaint so I'm stuck with it. It doesn't always look like an easter egg, sometimes it looks like the moody lavender it should, but then suddenly I see out of the corner of my eye a little white bunny laughing his butt off at me.

What bedding can I use to sophisticate up this room? My camera battery is dead so I can't post a picture tonight. It is a 11x13 bedroom with 8' ceilings and mahagony floors. Ace 'Honey White' trim which I also don't have time to alter.

I have a full size bed and oak furniture in the room. There is one large window and I currently have the bed under the window...it doesn't have a headbard. I was planning on using oodles of white sheers I have left over to make curtainy backdrop. I like French Country as a rule.

This is the piece of artwork that will play the major part of the room. Yeah, not so easy either, I know

http://www.feld.com/blog/home/feld/www/blog/images/pinkfloyd_small.jpg

Here is a link that might be useful: {{!gwi}}

Comments (24)

• vampiressrn
    12 years ago

Love the artwork...so think you should play off of that. If your room has a tendency to be lavender and you would would like to tone that down, maybe go with a butterscotch colored bedspread to capture the pictures pool deck. Then you can accessorize with colors such as dark purple, dark brown and green form the picture.

Hard to tell on the monitor, but think the daffodil yellow is a good match. http://www.potterybarn.com/products/pick-stitch-quilt-sham/?pkey=csolid-quilts-shams

http://www.amazon.com/Egyptian-Linens-Coverlet-Matching-California/dp/B002XXQPGU/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=bedbath&qid=1278308548&sr=1-2

http://www.crateandbarrel.com/family.aspx?c=1622&f=35096

• forhgtv
    12 years ago

I made you a little idea picture with your wall color as the background and a few bedding choices to give you some inspiration.

• Related Discussions

Chocolate Coated Cream Filled Easter Eggs

Q

Comments (47)
    I did make them and they are soooo good and so easy. Tracey yours look great too. I only made half a recipe and divided that in half. Half with only my coconut scented vanilla from Puerto Rico and half with lots of coconut. I did find it a bit soft so I kneaded in more confectioners sugar until it felt right. I used the Bakers chocolate coating cups. The chocolate was a bit thick to work with and I could have thinned it but I was hurting by then and just did the milk chocolate ones on the plain cream ones and a few of the coconut ones. I froze the rest of the uncoated eggs and will coat them in dark chocolate when I'm ready to eat them. Terrapots, I think I'll use the rest of the condensed milk can and make some with orange flavor, since I have that. Didn't have mint after all. Wish I had some raspberry extract though. All in all a great recipe that I will use in the future too Ann. Thanks for sharing again. I did make one big egg with each batch too. The big plain cream egg is smaller than the double coconut one. Here is a pic of the milk chocolate coated ones and you can see the two with coconut inside have coconut outside. They had just come out of the fridge so have a little moisture on them.
    ...See More

How do you mix and match dining chairs and make them look 'right?

Q

Comments (12)
    I've always liked the use of mismatched dining chairs and have collected lots of pics of rooms where they've done this, BUT, and this is a huge BUT, it depends on the rest of the decor whether it will work if the chairs are quite diverse. It only works IMO in a casual, cottage, eclectic, even funky room or if the chairs are reasonably similar in style. Trying to use mismatched chairs in a more formal traditional dining room will just look like you didn't have enough chairs and borrowed more. The only time it works, again IMO, in a traditional formal room is when the chairs at the ends of the table are (usually) upholstered and the other chairs are not, but of a similar style. Painting mismatched chairs all the same color is another possibility to create unity. If you find chairs with simple clean lines I think it can work. In my casual dining area, especially when there are more than 6 people, I use some black painted chairs. The 6 chairs are oak and part of my DR set and the black chairs are painted the same as a sideboard in the adjoining kitchen so it's almost as if there are 2 'sets'. Works for me in my casual home. Check out the link below to see most of the rooms are casual, cottage, and/or eclectic altho there are a few modern and European rooms as well. Here is a link that might be useful: mismatched dining room chairs
    ...See More

Coloring Easter eggs with silk ties

Q

Comments (7)
    Wrap uncooked eggs in 100% silk - colorful men's ties work best - color side on the egg. Secure with a twist tie. Wrap with 1005 linen or cotton - we use pieces of an old tablecloth. Layer in a porcelain enamel pot & cover with cold water. Add 1/4 cup white vinegar & bringto a boil. Boil for 20 minutes. Remove eggs & cool completely. You can also search for "martha stewart silk tie eggs" and see a u-tube. We have had lots of fun with this. While the eggs are boiling it gives just enough times for a margarita!
    ...See More

Need ideas on how to use up hard-boiled Easter Eggs

Q

Comments (36)
    This reminded me of a recipe I have had for many years, and somehow had forgotten about. I searched and found it in my documents/recipes folder. I'll definitely be using it again at Easter, and hopefully more often now that I've been reminded of it. Petit Pois Salad I pound frozen tiny peas, raw 1/3 cup chopped celery or water chestnuts 4 hard cooked eggs, chopped 3 dill pickles, chopped 1 small onion, chopped 1/8 tsp pepper 1/4 cup mayonnaise 1 tsp prepared mustard ½ tsp hot sauce Parmesan cheese, optional Combine first 6 ingredients. Combine rest of ingredients and blend the two mixtures. Garnish with parsley. Cheese may be mixed with the peas. If so, use 3 Tbls. or sprinkle on each serving. Attractive served in a tomato shell.
    ...See More
  • chloe5
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Those are both ideas. Thanks so much. Sadly, this was supposed to be my husband's den. He's a manly, man, but I don't think even he is manly enough to rock an easter egg lavender room. Maybe.

All of these bedding ideas (I would like to pull some yellow into the room) are helpful (and the idea board is very helpful).

• bronwynsmom
    12 years ago

Oh, too funny!
    Here's a little "paint color 101."
    Neutral colors are made by mixing pigments that are opposites on the color wheel, and then dirtying them up with other things like black and umber. That's why it's so hard to get grays that match...some are made by mixing purple and yellow, and some by mixing blue and orange, and some with red and green. (Actually, red and green usually make brown, but I digress...)
    As you can immediately see, you're really talking about a mixture of all three primary colors (purple = blue + red, green = yellow + blue...like that). So in certain lights, gray can turn purple, or green, or blue...

You have chosen a purple-toned gray, and the way to neutralize it until you can paint again is to get rid of all the yellow in the room. Yellow is opposite purple on the wheel, and has the effect of intensifying the purpleness of it. Your oak furniture probably has a lot of yellow in it. I don't know "Honey White," but from its name, I suspect it is also creamy, with a little yellowness. So those things conspire to purple it up.

Me? Rather than drive myself crazy over all the things that are making it more purple, I'd just take a deep breath and repaint.

• forhgtv
    12 years ago

Well, I'm LOL! I totally missed your desire to add yellow and masculinity to the room. Somehow, your "oodles of sheers" remark led me to believe you were going for a feminine room. Clearly, Vampiressrn understood your needs far better and found you some nicely tailored bedding to use. Bronwynsmom may have the best idea of all...just repaint.

• chloe5
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Honestly, the situation is very funny, but frustrating just the same. I can't tell you how relieved I am to get some help.

The reason for the "oodles of sheers" is because I have them and I have no money right now for new window treatments (we just did a bathroom remodel) They are left-overs from my daughter's wedding, and I have a ton of them. I can scrape together some money for new bedding, but not a ton.

I sound schizophrenic because my husband wants one thing and I want something totally different and attempting to pull a masculine French Country look together is out of my decorating league since all I have is oodles of sheers and not oodles of cash at the moment.

I totally think Bronwynsmom has hit the nail on the head that there is already so much yellow in the room that it can't help but go Easter. Honey White is yellow and the oak is yellow and Peter Cottontail just loves it in there.

I've attempted to link to my pictures of another guest room redo I did to give you an idea of what I like and what I've done before. I'd like a room that compares to this one, but without yellow walls (the actual color is BM Cream).

So, if I repaint, what color would go with that picture, encompass French Country, be masculine but also romantic and feminine?

The last issue, and an important one, is that I'm hosting a girls' weekend retreat for several friends in three weeks. I want all my guest rooms to be beautiful and restful for my friends. My other two bedrooms are darling and perfect and say, "Drink lots of wine and have a good time", but this one is a mess. I would rather make it fit my girls' party for now and fix it for my husband later, so let's go with that.

Here is a link that might be useful: Guest Room Pics

• forhgtv
    12 years ago

Do you sew? How about turning some of those sheers into a bedspread similar to the one in the upper left of the picture I posted. You could use a plain white sheet as the base to sew the sheers onto to make the sides. Add a colorful throw pillow with the tones of your picture and you would have a romantic look for almost no money.

• dilly_dally
    12 years ago

Posting a photo would help get more ideas since I think a lot of use are having a hard time picturing *French Country* and *That Wallart* together.

Is it possible to paint the orange-y oak furniture? That alone would help tone down the pinkish look the room has now and would make decorating easier the next time around too.

To make the room seem more sophisticated you could add more gray and charcoal. Yes, this will bring out the pink more, but the added grays will make the room seem much more masculine and less Easter Parade, and with more grays you won't be bringing in a lot of extra colors that will jumble with the wall art. The wall art will stand out as a focal point. Then add a just a few accessories in the primary colors like the wallart. Something in a striking blue and/or vibrant red. Not too much though. Just a touch. Adding a tidbit more red to your room would tone down the pink and make the walls look more gray.

Imgine this room with your Pink Floyd wallart in place of the one there and a vivid blue vase strategically placed in the room.

{{!gwi}}

Is it possible to scrap the whole idea of the Pink Floyd wall art and give your DH a vintage nude or pin-up wall art keeping with the French Country feel?

Trying to pull off French Country and Pink Floyd in an eclectic arrangement is going to be difficult but not impossible to do. It would just be easier to take the room in another direction.

{{!gwi}}

• dilly_dally
    12 years ago

The link did not show up. FYI the artist is André Gisson. Not French Country but won't clash. The photo above shows a very pink room but the BM Touch of Grey will show more lavender gray I think with the charcoal gray added in the room.

Anyway, I see the photos now and the room looks nothing like first described with "full size bed and oak furniture in the room. There is one large window and I currently have the bed under the window...it doesn't have a headbard." I do not see anything oak. I see a head board.

What is the true purpose of the room? I am confused. You say this is suppose to be a room for your husband (Office? TV room? Banished for snoring room?). Are guests going to be sleeping in the room? Does it really need a full size bed in there? Are there other things being added like a gaming computer? What is the goal?

To take some of the pastel out of the room I would reverse the quilt (it is plain on the other side right?) and put the blue comforter under it opened up. I see an oatmeal colored blanket on the quilt rack in one of the photos. Put that at the end of the bed. I would take down the blue striped drapes. Not only does the blue color add more 'bunny' to the room they look too bulky for such a small room. You say you have oodles of sheers and if you use enough so that they hang straight,a you will have a nice, neat window, treatment. the dresser with the crackle finished could be rubbed with some black. Right now it has a lot of blue.

Once the blue is out of the room, you have more options for adding accessories with a French Country color palette.

• chloe5
    Original Author
    12 years ago

dilly_dally, I love the second piece of art.

I really ought to not do decorating unless I'm truly inspired. My forced work on a whim and a tight time table is usually disappointing and ends in results like this. WILL I NEVER LEARN?!?!?! probably. not.

I ought to just repaint, but since I am uninspired, on a tight time table, AND trying to make my husband happy, I am at a loss as to what to paint the room and I simply don't have the time to do this right (you know, paint samples, etc) I really don't have time to paint the furniture either. (Please don't kick me out for being a crummy, impatient decorator. I promise to do better next time.)

So, listening to all your suggestions, I pulled an old large grey comforter into the room to see the effect. VOILA! Much better. I'm going to look for a spa-like grey and white duvet and a silver frame for this Pink Floyd picture.

This picture is sort of inspiring:

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_azcHKPPS4kc/S4_-U_4TUgI/AAAAAAAAAKw/GClwcctYbsk/s400/beautiful+bedroom+lavender.jpg

Does anyone have any good sites for reasonable bedding? I saw some really lovely things at macys but at $350 for a duvet, a bit spendy for me right now.

I hope I'm not bothering anyone with my agonizing between decorating correctly and making my husband happy. He loves that piece of art and I've thrown away most everything else he's ever owned, so I guess I feel I have to make it up to him. I've got to find a way to make both of us happy.

• chloe5
    Original Author
    12 years ago

dilly_dally, I'm sorry to be so confusing.

The room I linked is a finished room that I love just the way it is. The one I'm redoing now is shaped a lot like the one I've linked but my camera is out of batteries and I can't get any pics right now.

You are 100% right-on about the grey. That's the direction I need to go. The more grey I stick in the room the better it gets. Since I can see now how this color could be made to work, I've decided to repaint the ceiling. How grey should I go?

• dilly_dally
    12 years ago

OK. I thought the photos were of the room in question before painting it with the BM Touch of Grey and you wanted it made more masculine for the wallart. I thought that was the room you wished to change.

You ask how gray you should go to balance the current wall color and the vivid wallart but one cannot really give an answer without seeing the whole room with the other actual furnishings. Even then it is just a close guess since colors on a monitor appear different than IRL, not to mention the time of day the photo was taken give a different perspective to the photo depending on how much light usually gets into the room throughout the day.

I'm glad you loved the inspiration wallart link. I tried to find something French Country-ish along the lines of 'peasants bathing' and showing a woman's whole backside like the Pink Floyd poster, and also having a shock of blue color in it too like the poster does. You say you need to keep the one you have as your DH loves it. If you are leaning towards French Country I would not do a slick Modern silver frame with it. Could you consider doing a sort of kitschy French Country by using an ornate silver gilt frame instead? At first glance from a distance it would look like any other Middle Ages era painting with the tile floor and beamed ceiling in the foreground like a cathedral or manor would have, and the colors would be appropriate to that era also. But then......the viewer blinks......and.........surprise!.......it is a Contemporary work of art, and a tribute to Rock to boot.

I think you can pull off an eclectic look with this wall color and wall art. If you can Photoshop using the above pink room example, notice how when you place the PF wallart on the wall, the color immediately browns out and does not look pink anymore but much more taupe. Notice how in the collage that forhgtv put up the Touch Of Grey looks very drab against the bright primary colors of the wallart.

Using the sheers you have will be great if you keep them tailored and not fluffy and drapey.

What color is the flooring? Put 'batteries for camera' on your 'to-do' list please.

I just love your inspiration photo. That is the color scheme you should copy.

• vampiressrn
    12 years ago

Your guest rooms look lovely...GREAT JOB!!!

If you paint again, I would try a neutral beige...then you can still use that great PF picture and accessorize to those colors. I would avoid using the sheers in there since it needs to be masculine. You might look on CL and see if you can find some used shutters you can spray paint maybe in a dark brown or a dark vivid blue (like in the picture). No frilly bedspreads, just go with a plain quilt. Take your time, buy when you can and if you have a Home Goods store, that is a great place to shop.

• luvnlife_09
    12 years ago

Check out target.com and sort by color selecting gray/black in bedding.... I think you are on the right track with the gray and then bringing in touches of color (with pillows etc) pulled from your artwork. Prices very reasonable I think.
    Good luck...I feel your pain. Been there, done that, and understand NOT wanting to paint over right now!!

Here is a link that might be useful: Target bedding

• chloe5
    Original Author
    12 years ago

You have all been very helpful. I've always been too intimidated to actually post here, but I'm really glad I did this time.

I think God, in her infinite wisdom, has decided that this color is going to have to go. Ominously, it appears that I've run out of paint and won't be able to finish the room! I KNOW that 1 gallon of paint ought to be enough to paint this room as this is the third time I've painted it since we've lived here. Sigh.

Drugs. Do any of you resort to drugs instead of decorating? Less expensive and more immediate satisfaction.

• dilly_dally
    12 years ago

The dilemma is solved. Now the next dilemma is what color to choose to paint the room to go with the wallart. Don't go by the names of colors. I'm thinking a gray that is green based to go with your warm white wood trim.

• chloe5
    Original Author
    12 years ago

My momma said there would be decorating days like this, days like this, my momma said. One wasted can of paint, one pretty unfun argument with my husband, and three days wasted that I didn't have. Harumph.

Okay, do you think I can start an entirely new thread to pic a paint color?

Actually, I think that I could come up with a good solution from the suggestions here except my husband has finally said that he just can't have a lavender room. Sigh.

• bronwynsmom
    12 years ago

In answer to the drugs question, yes. My drug of choice in summer is a really nice inexpensive Torrontes from Argentina, $8.99 in the wine department at the Kroger grocery store.

In answer to your paint color question, to give the room a more masculine air, set it apart from the rest of your house (a real psychological advantage for a husband's lair), work with your creamy trim color, make that wonderful poster stand out, and reduce the perception of yellow in your oak furniture (and by the bye, painting the furniture would be a gargantuan effort compared with just repainting the walls), choose a rich golden brown.

There's "Richmond Gold" (HC-41) from the BMoore Historical group...or Sherwin Williams "Chamois" (SW6131) or "Bosc Pear" (SW6390). There are a couple of the Affinity colors in the BMoore Aura line, too, but I don't have the chips at hand. (I like those because they actually can cover in one coat.)

The sheers would soften it, and the warm colors and white linens and black iron and pottery and basketry of traditional French country design would work with it. The blues in the poster will jump out on that background, which will warm your husband's heart.

(My DH says that no American man of any age has anything he first chose for himself, because whatever his first wife didn't take, his second wife pitched out..)

• franksmom_2010
    12 years ago

If it were me? I'd have a nice hot bath, drink a cocktail, and just stop and think before I did anything else.

I find it helpful to first define the functions of the room. Is it your husband's den or a guest bedroom? Will it have to function as both? What are the constraints to decorating the room? Budget, it must contain the Pink Floyd poster, etc. Write it all down!

I would let go of the goal for the room to be "masculine/feminine/romantic/French Country"...no offense, but all that comes to mind when I try and see that is Rue Paul in a bad yellow dress. Let it go for now and just see what happens.

Are there other classic rockers he likes? One lone rock poster in a room that's decorated to be something else is just out of place, but a whole wall of them? Now you're on to something! Can you frame vintage concert tees? Enshrine old ticket stubs? Can you get inspiration from old album covers?

I totally get the urge to get it done because company's coming, and to use the sheers because they're there (and paid for) but it may just have to wait. Maybe after a glass of wine (or three) your guests can help you brainstorm for ideas, and everyone can get a laugh out of the lavender walls?

• chloe5
    Original Author
    12 years ago

This morning, while standing in the nearly completed room, my husband said, in a non-angry voice as we've made up, "This is the color of my sister's bedroom when we were growing up."

Well, SHEESH!

I wish he'd just said that at the beginning. But he said, and I believe, he didn't realize it until all the paint was up and then it all came back to him. Now I understand where all the anguish was coming from. Who wants their kid sister's bedroom for their "men's lair"? Uh. NOBODY.

Okay, onward and upward.

Bronwynsmom, we both love the "Richmond Gold". He likes it because it is dark and cavelike and I like it because it is warm. I'll be looking very closely at that color today. I'm on call today for work and if I don't get called in I might be able to paint this room and be done with it before my husband wakes up (he works nights). Wouldn't that be a nice surprise?

Thanks everyone for your amazing decorating help. And the marital advice wasn't bad either. ;)

• donaldsg
    12 years ago

Ikea has lots of lovely bedding VERY CHEAP. I just got a new twin duvet cover and sham for my daughter's bed for $19.99! And they are nice soft, quality cottons too (not that scratchy stuff you often get when you buy cheap bedding). I think they had some greys and other neutrals. (if you don't usually use a duvet, don't worry - they are cheap too.)
    Sears also has reasonably priced bedding and it seems there is always a sale on.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    12 years ago

You know, instead of rushing, any chance you could let your friends offer advice when they arrive? I picture you laughing with them over the color and getting some great suggestions.

• chloe5
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I actually like the color (go figure, I'm a chick who likes lavender) and I think I might just have enough paint left in the can to eek out the final bits.

cyn427, even though I am impatient to have the room just done, I have decided I'm going to wait and let it be for now and put up my sheers (they are just plain, flat white sheers) and buy an inexpensive girlie duvet cover that I can use in in the future in my other rooms.

Now that I have some idea of a direction to go to make it work for dh I feel much better. We've come to some understanding. He's content to let it be as it is for my upcoming event knowing that it'll be changed to satisfy his needs for a den-like cave and so marital peace reigns in our happy home once more.

I love my husband to pieces and he has very good taste in clothes, food, wine, and women (lol), but left up to him this entire house would be paneled in dark 1970s paneling.

• franksmom_2010
    12 years ago

Woohoo! I'm so glad that you and the DH have come up with some solutions. It sounds like it's all going to be fine. We'd love to see some pics of the before and after.

Have you seen the youtube video of "Jessica's daily affirmation"? Seriously, it helps me LOL when I'm stressed about such things. When she says "My whole house is great! I like my stuff! I can do anything good!" it sort of takes the edge off.