SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
limom_2bts

wwyd?

limom_2bts
13 years ago

I'm sure I already know the answer but need to show DH the popular responses!

Kitchen situation: 8' ceilings with mega-soffits (12" high, extend 24" with hi-hats) so in essence 7' height to work with.

2 layers of old vinyl flooring with sub-floors=1.25" height, outside of cabinet perimeters. (i.e., no flooring under cabinets). Replacing all cabinets, same footprint.

New flooring to be LVT (Nafco/Amtico or similar). Real conern is wanting to NOT lock in DW by high flooring.

Would prefer to leave soffits in as hi-hats are in good spot. DH is thinking of just "filling in" under cabs so they would all be 1.25" off floor base, giving one level space. However that would leave only 15-16" space bewteen countertops and upper cabs. (cabs would need to be dropped .5-1.0" for narrow molding install). Is 15-16" space between countertop/cabinets a big no-no? I don't have major appliances that would be an issue...just a toaster, toaster oven and the like.

I know the right thing to do is to remove ALL old flooring to original levels and start from scratch. DH is not happy with that idea, tho, since all door molding etc would need to be replaced, time consuming, back-breaking plus he's no spring chicken!!

Would you ignore the old layers of flooring (no issues of raising up or anything) and just remove soffits to allow 18" spacing?

In summary (sorry) here are the choices:

(1) remove 1.25" of old flooring OR

(2) leave old flooring down, remove soffits to allow 18" space OR

(3) leave flooring and soffits, build up under old cabinets to level and have 15-16" wall space between countertops and upper cabinets

Whew!! Hard to describe issue but hopefully I explained somewhat coherently! LOL

Comment (1)