SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
michaelct

electrolux icon/ge cafe

michaelct
14 years ago

I've been looking for help on the Appliance Forum choosing between a 30" Electrolux ICON or GE Cafe gas range. The only response I got was from someone also intersted in the question who suggested that I post here as well. So here goes (abbreviated):

Need a new 30" range for very small (8' long x 7' wide!) kitchen. No window, so outdoor venting and true pro range are not possible. Would like a good pro-style range with over the range microwave (some say the recirculating fans are useless, but it's the best I can do) and have narrowed search to GE Cafe (CGS980SEMSS) and Electrolux ICON Professional(E30GF74HPS).

Love the way the Electrolux looks, love the ball bearing racks, like that it has few electronics to break (but the downside of that is that the oven just has an old fashioned/less accurate dial for setting the temperature, no timer, etc.), might miss the second oven, but over the range microwave (only 950 watts) has a convection oven. Seems like glass cooktop surface might be easier to clean. I know there was a recall last year for carbon monoxide problems, but assume that's been corrected.

GE is good (but maybe not as good) looking, has two ovens (some say the second isn't much use) and a griddle (also criticized by some for being underpowered), self cleaning racks, larger oven than Electrolux, digital oven controls (I know, repairs) so I'll hear a beep when oven reaches temp (plus other conveniences that come with that) and more powerful (1100 watts), larger (2.0 cu ft) OTR microwave. Really concerned about things I've read regarding issues with microwave handle getting burning hot and control power blanking out or breaking altogether from stove heat (though not sure why all OTR microwaves wouldn't have this problem). Stainless top prone to scratching.

I haven't been able to find too much recently posted on line from people who own and like (or hate) either of these ranges/microwaves. Does anyone own one and have any advice to share? Thanks so much.

Comments (5)

Sponsored
KP Designs Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars50 Reviews
Franklin County's Unique and Creative Residential Interior Design Firm