SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
joyfulguy

Safer winter driving with automatic transmissions

joyfulguy
20 years ago

Recently we've had much cold with snow and winds to blow it around. Quite a bit of ice, as well - sometimes apparent ahead of time, sometimes not.

Always drive carefully in winter when dealing with snow and ice - and you (Northerners) never know when you may run into some.

Keep watching carefully ahead when wind blowing, as occasionally one runs into white-out and if one runs into such abruptly, it's important to slow down really rapidly, as visibility in white-out is minimal. Better to see it coming and brake earlier - as highway more likely gives good footing then than in snowy white-out. But - danger of hitting something ahead that's stopped or moving slowly is somewhat balanced by danger, if you're going slowly under such conditions, of being hit from behind by some jackass that can't be bothered slowing.

But - remember - traffic rules say that we are to be in full control of our vehicle at all times. When you hit someone from behind - it's ALWAYS your fault. Of course - the aggrieved party may be dead right.

Driver trainers tell us while driving to be aware of what's going on a quarter of a mile ahead (as well as what's going on on all sides). When driving in the city, when I see a light go yellow half a block ahead and pull my foot off of the throttle, the automatic transmission helps reduce my speed for a time, usually long enough to reduce the amount of braking that I need do - but without changing speed substantially enough that I should indicate my speed reduction to following traffic by using my brakes.

When I get down near engine idle speed, the braking action of the engine on the driving wheels changes to powering them. So I slip the shifter into neutral, as I don't want my transmission to be trying to push me into an intersection when the red light is on. And me pushing on the brakes to stop me. Not a good situation if one's travelling on ice. Also - I have a vison of my car saying, "Is it stop or go - would you please make up your mind?" And me replying, "What do you mean - you're the one that's built to push and stop at the same time!"

It means that, since the engine isn't pushing while the brakes are stopping, I need use the brakes less, causing less wear and tear on the system and wear on the pads. Thus I postpone slightly the time when those pads will need to be replaced. Which does my frugal heart good - (and justifies my adding this post to this thread).

I can't get over how many people keep their foot on the accelerator as they approach a red light, then push hard on the brakes when they get a couple of hundred feet away. When we are on a multi-lane street, they pass me at speed and get some way ahead before they hit the brakes.

Not smart. But it's their dollars that must maintain their vehicle.

On slippery road, brake gently and if braking causes wheels sliding, if they're not air brakes, pump them, as turning wheels usually provide more stopping effect than sliding ones. Especially if you're trying to turn at the same time. Not do this if you have ABS brakes, though.

Winter driving instructor told us the other day that, when in serious problem on the road, we usually look at the dangerous situation, but that we should not, for we drive where we look. We should look where we want to go.

Also - we should do some practice driving, turning and braking on an area where there's a wide empty space, e.g. supermarket parking lot on a holiday, so we become familiar with what we can expect our car to do when on slippery surface. Did I mention that you should do that only when the parking lot is snow- or ice-covered?

Good wishes for getting to spring with no bangs, bumps or scratches on your car - or you, for that matter.

jes joyful

P.S. After tooth filling at dental school the other day, while walking to (free but distant) parking place, wind whipped my cap sixty feet away on a snowy field. Walking to get it, I fell down in snow. After regaining sidewalk and walking a distance, figured I needed to clear snow from an overshoe - looked down - no overshoe.

Went back to the cap retrieval site - couldn't see where I'd walked into field, so couldn't find overshoe. No snow shovel in van and had appointment elsewhere.

Freezing rain and more snow since means a lot of snow shovelling will be required to find half of my $50. overshoes that were worn only half a dozen times or so.

Life has its unpleasant moments ...

still joyful to be enjoying good health, while anticipating major birthday on Friday.

still (more or less) joyful

Comments (3)

Sponsored
A.I.S. Renovations Ltd.
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars15 Reviews
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County