SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
blubird_gw

Give me the bad news...

blubird
14 years ago

OK...so I've been lurking and posting for a very long time and now it appears it's my turn to do the kitchen.

I'm taking out a 30 year old functional kitchen, but the cabs are really getting very tired looking. A neighbor just put in a fabulous kitchen, without ever getting TKO - she happened to luck out with a custom cabinet maker - frameless, no less, and she now is the proud owner of a marvelous kitchen with an island. However, her kitchen appears to be about 1 foot longer than mine. The kitchens in these developments are all the same to start with - they all have a peninsula, but I was hoping to put in an island to improve flow.

Here are my layout pictures. The first picture is the room as empty. I am not moving any walls. The doorway on the right is a main traffic route to and from the garage and office space. The door to the dining room I was considering making a little wider to the left. The dashed line on the right represents the end of the 'kitchen' space; a 9'2" wide seating area is to the left, but I have roller chairs and with the chairs pushed in I only have 21" behind them to the current peninsula. I have a gas line on the 97" wall, but there's another room behind that wall so there's nowhere to go.

Here's a picture of almost the current kitchen - I was playing with the fridge wall - where the roll-out cab is shown I have a pantry closet the same size. Instead of a lazy susan cab I have a blind corner cabinet retrofitted with and ikea half-moon susan which works wonderfully well and I'm not averse to doing the same with the new kitchen. The top peninsula cab is accessible from the eating area.

and here's a play layout with an island:

My concern is that while I can probably squeeze an island between the window and fridge wall, I don't know if I have enough room for circulation around an island with the tables and chairs where they are.

Please help put me out of my misery...

Helene

Comments (18)

Sponsored
Trish Takacs Design
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars36 Reviews
Award Winning & Highly Skilled Kitchen & Bath Designer in Columbus