SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nadine33_gw

need some advice on replacing ceiling and recessed lighting

nadine33
18 years ago

We were going to replace our living room ceiling on our own, but got a quote of $1000 for someone to do it for us. Thats around $300 materials and $700 labor. We're thinking it's probably a good idea as they will haul away all the trash and can have it done on 2 days. The room is about 20x 12. First question...does this seem like a reasonable rate? It's a friend of a friend who'll be doing the work. He did work for my friend and she was very happy with him. He just went over their ceiling, but has to rip ours down (excessive "stomping" or something like that on our ceiling...we would rip it down no matter what anyway.). As far as a contract goes, what do we need to have in writing?

Second part....we'd like recessed lighting added to the room. THere are no existing lights in the ceiling but there are 2 closed off junction boxes on the walls. I'm guessing 8 lights..does that sound about right? ANyone know the going rate for recessed lighting installation? I was hoping around $500. We don't want fancy lights...just your run of the mill lighting. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Normally we'd do this stuff on our own, but we have a 1 year old and expecing #2 in about 2 months, so we're willing to pay for the convenience.

Comments (6)