SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
misswoodstock

Gutters - Finding Honest Advice on Replacing or Upgrading?

We've moved into a house that needs some fixing up. One area of "fix up" is drainage and gutters. Right now we are looking at the gutters.... they are constantly full of leaves and/or clogging debris (heavy woods around us) --- they are always full, and overlowing water off the sides. The downspouts are always clogged. Even if we could clean them out weekly, I don't know if that would do it....and even IF that would do it, the gutters are higher than my husband is able to safely climb on a ladder. So, that eliminates weekly cleaning as a viable solution - we can't do it ourselves, and we can't pay a gutter cleaner to come once a week.

We want to do whatever it takes to rid ourselves of this constant problem ---- new gutters, gutter covers, whatever! We don't expect to eliminate maintenance altogether - it's the present situation where they are never clear and/or flowing that we want to fix.

Here's our initial challenge ..... how do we know if we need to modify what we have (i.e. covers?), or if we'd be better served with a new system? It seems like the businesses fall into one catagory or the other --- totally replacing them, or modifying what you have. Each business is going to tell us that what THEY sell is going to work - right?

Can anyone give us any tips on how we can know what direction we should take - covers or new gutters? I'm expecting every evaluation from whatever kind of company we bring out here is going to assure me that their solution is going to be just what we need. But, how can we know?

Thanks,

Miss Mary

Comments (8)