SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
annie58_gw

My marriage may not survive this

annie58
13 years ago

My husband retired two years ago at the age of 51. We both discussed his retiring beforehand and agreed that he would have to work somewhere afterward in order to maintain household expenses. We still have three children living at home, two in University. He started a "handyman" business which got going quite well and has also taken a full time (temporary) job for a few months. I have always been a stay-at-home mom, caring for our five children.

My problem is that when he is home, he does very little to help out in the home. Before he was retired, he helped out quite a bit. Now, he has very little interaction with his children and I. He leaves stuff around, not picking up after himself. The little jobs that he always did now is left to the rest of us. His favourite saying these days seems to be, "Why don't you do it?" He seems to slowly be removing himself from this family home.

I think he thought when he retired that he could sit in a chair, read and do crossword puzzles because that is all he seems to do when he's home now. I asked him the other day, "When do I get to retire?".

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Michael Nash Design, Build & Homes
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars254 Reviews
Northern Virginia Design Build Firm | 18x Best of Houzz