SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
therealdeal_gw

Mold in drywall? and something wierd

therealdeal
14 years ago

I have a garage that was partially converted into a usable room. It seems like the conversion was done nicely. There was concrete poured to level the floor and tile installed, drywall added and a couple electrical outlets. Not your typical garage conversion.

The wall that is against the bricks(outside facing) is covered with drywall. Ok with that said...

I was getting ready to strip and change the wallpaper (you'll see why in a second) on that outside facing wall and I noticed a few black spots looking like they were under the wallpaper. I started to scor the wallpaper and removed a couple sections and it looks like there is some black spots on the drywall and the drywall looks kind of rough in some areas. See the photos below.

Here is the wierd part. The wall is about 8 feet long. when I was scoring I noticed that I could "push" the wall in and from floor up about a few feet it would "bend" a little. After a little looking, it appears there are no studs behind the drywall. Tested with stud finder and the pounding test and cannot find any. Anywhere Ipush on the wall in bends in. What is holding the drywall in place? Seriously if I push on it it bends in and I am afraid it will break.

Is it possible the studs rotted from water damage and that is also why the drywall appears the way it does and might have mold?

HELP!!!

I'm in Tampa Bay Florida if it matters.

Click the photos for a larger view.

The first photo is about 4 inches of the lower area after I pulled of the base moulding

{{!gwi}}

This next photo is about a 8 inch area, again on the lower area after I removed the moulding and tried to remove the wallpaper

{{!gwi}}

This next one is a real close up and is only about 4 inches of wall. This is what I was thinking might be mold.

{{!gwi}}

Another ware I thought might be mold. The top layer of the drywall came off real easy when I was trying to get the wallpaper off

{{!gwi}}

This one is the corner of the wall. It is about 4 inches of wall on each side

{{!gwi}}

Comments (10)