SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
thisoldbungalow_gw

Spray foam insulation and furring strips for drywall?

thisoldbungalow
13 years ago

My husband and I recently bought a 1920s bungalow with a finished attic. Since it was a cook box in the summer, we tore down the drywall in order to pull out the deteriorated Kimsul insulation and get the whole roof and exterior walls insulated with open-cell spray foam.

Over the 2x6 rafters (24" o.c.), previous owners had nailed furring strips to which the drywall was fastened. We are planning to have the spaces between the rafters filled with 5.5" of foam and attach new drywall to the existing furring strips. This would leave about a 3/4" gap between the surface of the foam and the drywall.

In my research on the web, I've come across occasional comments about the risk of moisture condensation and mold in this airspace between the drywall and the insulation. Our insulation contractor, however, says he has never heard of this problem. I haven't been able to find any official information about it either, all I've found are forum comments.

Does anybody have any information if there is indeed an issue with having a gap between the insulation and the drywall? My husband thinks the furring strips might actually be beneficial, because they would minimize contact and thus heat transmission through the rafters to the drywall. It seems like since both the gap and the drywall are in a conditioned space, there should not be an issue, but the comments I have come across make me wonder. The possibility of mold is obviously something we would like to rule out. (We live in a climate with hot, humid summers and relatively cold winters.)

Thanks in advance.

Comments (2)