SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_1401217

Granite? or Something Else?

User
10 years ago

I've had granite in my current kitchen (countertops & island) for the past 12 yrs. Mine is a hard working kitchen and the granite has held up beautifully. Hot pots and cookie sheets haven't hurt it. Lemon juice, wine, vinegar, olive oil, etc. have not left a mark. It's a medium color, so it doesn't show streaks or fingerprints. I don't do anything to maintain it and the finish looks as good as the day it was installed.

For all the reasons above, I'm inclined to go with granite again for my remodel. I love the soapstone we have in our lakehouse kitchen, but I don't think it's the best fit for this house. I'm going for a lighter look here. I love marble but it's definitely out because I couldn't live with the etching that would surely happen with what & how we cook. I just don't care for Corian. Wood is also out for me.

But I wonder if I should be considering quartz/quartzite. My understanding is that while it is durable, it can still etch and there are more concerns about damaging it with heat than there is with granite.

Should I just stick with what's worked, or am I misinformed about quartzite?

Comments (10)