SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
needsometips08

keeping original oak cabinets and mixing granite/other surfaces

needsometips08
15 years ago

So here is my outdated kitchen. After much deliberation, Ive decided to do only a minor renovation, considering budget and neighborhood.

Thanks to all your ideas, I will be taking all clutter off cabinet tops, adding crown molding, redoing window treatments, ALL new hardware (sink, cabinet knobs/pulls, 3 pendants over island, new chandelier), new ss appliances, fixing the fridge/cabinet not-flush discrepancy, new flooring, travetine backsplash, and new counters. Will strip and stain cabinets if needed.

And thanks to busybme for her fabulous idea of enlarging the island, and her photoshopping skills, the general idea is to make it like this pic below. I will put beadboard to match the cabinets under the new island and with the new space, on each side will be garbage pull out cabinets with footpedal (notice busybme even added in the other updates I'd described!):

{{gwi:1568599}}

I saw this photo on the finished kitchens blog, where they kept the original oak cabinets like ours, and it was very helpful in deciding to keep our oak kitchen cabinets. I know it's not popular, but I like the look. It "feels like home" to me. Does anyone else have any photos where they kept their original oak cabinets in their reno?

{{gwi:1568600}}

So here are my questions:

1.Do my planned updates sound OK? Will they help in updating the look? Do they sound from description like they would improve it?

2.Do our cabinets look as good as the ones in the bottom pic? (I donÂt want them to be ramshackle and I am just not seeing it cause I am used to them!) The doors are secured well and the finish is pretty good. As talked about on another thread, I don't want to end up putting lipstick on a pig by putting granite over really outdated cabinets!) One option I've really been considering is putting granite (slab) on just my island, and something else on the counter behind it. That way it would be cheaper, and I also wouldn't be TOO committed if 5-10 yrs down the line I do want to change out cabinets, I won't have an entire kitchen locked down with granite. I can deal with the island being locked down. Tearing out one slab isn't the end of the earth should it ever come to that! So can I pull off granite mixed with something else? If so, what? The idea would be to go cheaper than granite and as durable as possible. Can I do Formica? I don't like how I can't cut or put hot pots on it, but are there really any other inexpensive options? I would like to go dark for both the granite and the counter behind it. I wouldn't mind at all if the counter behind it is really boring and solid color in comparison to the granite. Is that best? I definately want some black in granite for sure. What colors of granite hold up best to water since the sink is there? Is it possible I would end up creating a beautiful granite island with an obviously cheaper backdrop that looks mismatched? Can anyone show me pics of their granite and formica (or something else) combo?

3. Lastly, do you have to have a certain "type" of house to have a stainless steel farmhouse sink? I really want one, but my house was built in 1998 - not exactly a farmhouse? From the pics, can I pull of that style sink?

Comments (14)