SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
straw_bale_ln

In desperate need of backsplash ideas

straw_bale_ln
16 years ago

DH and I are pretty burned out by all this kitchen stuff and we're in the middle of demo right now. Holding down full time jobs, looking after a toddler and a dog that's freaked out by the construction is leaving little energy for thinking about backsplashes for the 100th time. We thought we found just what we were looking for in a recycled glass mosaic in olive green from Susan Jablon, but we received the sample in the mail today and it really looked nothing like we thought it would.

Here's what we have to work with:

1. Cherry cabinets in a light stain and a cocoa glaze

2. Amendoim floors

3. Soapstone countertops; mostly black with very fine white veining

4. Stainless appliances

5. White farmhouse sink

Originally we thought about a slate tile backsplash but I'm worried that it will look too dark and heavy. All the colors look good together but I'm feeling overwhelmed by grays and rust colors. I don't have a picture of the slate tile I liked the best, but it was the darkest of all the slate I've seen even though it had a lot of color variation between the different dark tones. This was another one of the tiles we liked from Lowe's except the pic shows 2"x2" tiles and we liked the 1"x1" of the same tile better but don't have a photo:

There is quite a bit of light in the kitchen, even though the windows are north facing. There is a window above the sink and a bay window in the eat-in area. Also, the adjacent family room will have patio doors, two additional windows and two skylights, adding even more light in the future.

If anyone hs ANY ideas and suggestions I'd love to hear them. At this point I'm ready to throw in the towel and go with a 4" soapstone backsplash, something I didn't want to do. This would also pose a problem since I got a Bluestar range with the island trim because I dreamed of a tile backsplash so I'd have to figure something else out for use behind the range. I'm just too overwhelmed to deal with everything right now. And don't bother asking about what paint color I chose because that's not even on the horizon yet, LOL

Comments (21)