SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lisa616_gw

Desperate backsplash help...tile came in..ugh.

lisa616
12 years ago

Help! I ordered my tile and it all came in today. Unfortunately, when I laid it out...I don't like it! I originally was going to get the darker tile, but played it safe and went light. I don't feel like it does anything for the cabinets. Not sure what to do. I paid a stupid amount for shipping...but, I'd rather suck it up and get it right than have this installed and not like it. Any ideas? I love the glass subway look....just not digging the color. It almost gives off a green hue..weird. I'd greatly appreciate any ideas!!

Comments (24)

• chris11895
    12 years ago

So just to clarify, the subway tile is what you ordered and don't like? And the small tiles are the color you wish you went with? If you paint behnid the tiles a dark color will that help? I have no experience with glass tiles, but I think the color they're installed over can make a difference. Maybe someone else will chime in and either confirm or deny that for me....

• lisa616
    Original Author
    12 years ago

That's an interesting question....not sure. The tile has a white backing on it..so I don't know if a paint color would come through or not. I love the glass subway tile...yes, the little squares are the darker color I wished I of gone with. I'm thinking maybe of coming up with a design where I can use some light and buy some dark. Therefore, not having to return all the tile. I love the 3.6 size...those little squares were all I had originally. I have 2 3x6 tiles in the darker color coming in the mail tomorrow. That'll help. Or...I scratch the whole plan and start over :(

• decordummy_gw
    12 years ago

In your original post the 12th pic down shows a backsplash shows combining different tiles in a pattern, so I was going to suggest combining the light & dark (but you beat me to it). Like Chris11895 says maybe the a dark colour on the back may help. No matter what you decide, I'm sure it will be beautiful.

Here is a link that might be useful: link

• ellendi
    12 years ago

IMHO I don't think you chose wrong. I think a whole backsplash in the darker color would be over whelming. When going through kitchens for inspiration, how many have entirely dark backsplashes? Not many.
    I can see using the darker ones for accent tiles.

• CEFreeman
    12 years ago

You should always use white mastic w/ glass tile because it shows through. You could look into a darker mastic and experiment with some behind your tile.

Funny. I think both tiles go beautifully w/ your countertop, but I agree they do ab-so-lute-ly nothing for the cabinets.

Nice tile, though!

• Leslie.in.NC
    12 years ago

I think they pick up the tones in your floor nicely and will look good, but if you want a darker look you may consider doing a darker grout (maybe similar to the one in the floor?). It's amazing what a difference grout color can make!

• decordummy_gw
    12 years ago

That last pic with the row of tiles the length of the counter really puts it in perspective (cabinets, counter, tiles, flooring, etc. all together). Too bad we couldn't see the dark tiles like this. Anyway, the beige tiles do look good with the counter, and you'll likely love it after they're up.

• marcolo
    12 years ago

It's impossible to see your granite clearly enough from those photos.

In any case, do not put the tiles up until you are satisfied you have something that works. It makes no sense to permanently mess up a kitchen just to save on shipping costs.

• lisa616
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I am getting 2 of the darker color subways today for better samples. I'll post a pic. I agree...I won't put anything up unless I'm sure. The tiles are beautiful..it's really the cabinets that I'm not loving with it. I need a design to use both colors. Are there any programs out there? Or is it simply a drawing thing?

• lisa616
    Original Author
    12 years ago

The darker tile samples came in....thoughts? I'm stressed out from this!!
    I wish I could see my whole kitchen done....so worried I'm not going to like it.

• remodelfla
    12 years ago

random mix of the two together.

• amysrq
    12 years ago

I agree that the lighter tile does not work with the cabinets. The challenge here is that you are trying to get a handful of so-called neutrals to work together and it is tricky.

The darker tile will essentially replicate the look of having used the counter material as a backsplash. It is a very dramatic look and leans somewhat contemporary, IMO. Your kitchen seems to lean more traditional to me, so maybe a non-contemporary layout could bridge the gap...like herringbone?

But by using the darker tile you'd be dropping one of the colors from the mix, since it seems to "match" your granite, and that will make things easier. I would not use both tiles in a mix. Too much, too busy and still not fixing the too many neutrals problem. Adding the dark tile to the light tile will not magically make the light tile work with your cabs!

Hate to ask, but have you thought of picking up the white in the (gorgeous) range for the backsplash? I do worry about the functionality of a dark backsplash/counter combo. If you have any concerns at all about functional light in the workspace, you might give white glass or ceramic some thought. Another way to use a neutral that would blend gracefully would be stainless tiles. Beyond those suggestions, it would also be easier to use a color color if you can find something you like.

IMO, a backsplash is what makes or breaks a kitchen for me. Tile is always my first love! I spent about two years here, looking for help, trying to figure it out. Hang in there and get it right for you!!

• a2gemini
    12 years ago

I agree - the dark alone would be too dark.
    Can you use a different shape to accent with the lighter tiles? That way, you can cut some of the loss by using most of the lighter tiles with accent dark.

• sixtyohno
    12 years ago

I like the dark. My suggestion is to somehow put some tiles up that go from the counter to the cabs so you can get a full picture. I failed to do that the first go round and spent $$$ on a tile that was gorgeous in a small sample and awful when several square feet went up. Luckily we only lost a about $60.00.

• jejvtr
    12 years ago

lisa

Lovely kitchen -

I would try to do a mock up of the lighter tile in one area all the way up to meet cabs - I would think some of that white gummy stuff (I can't remember the name!) would hold tiles - take pics in different lighting, leave it up for several days

Do the same with the dark -

I personally don't care for the dark - I think it mimics the granite too much. The lighter has potential but it is really difficult to "see" it in the expanse of sq footage it will be installed - It picks up on the color variation in the counter -

good luck

• ellendi
    12 years ago

The dark will make a very cave like effect in your kitchen. There are very few very dark backsplashes on this forum and I think that it is because it is just too tricky to get it right.
    My vote is still to go lighter. Maybe a different version of the ones you have? Or maybe the glass isn't right for what you are looking for.
    Take a deep breath. What has happened to you is something that many of us here can relate to. You chose your cabinets and then the counter without a vision of what your backsplash was going to be. This does not make the process impossible, it is just harder.
    I think you need to take a break. How about painting the backsplash for now? You might also get a feel for the color that can work and then mimic that in the tile.
    You do not NEED a backsplash to have a functioning kitchen. So, take your time with this.

• blfenton
    12 years ago

I'm usually more pleasant than this so I apologize, but for me, the lighter tile comes across as pukey green (sorry) in your kitchen. Perhaps in a different kitchen with different colours it would work. Your cabinets comr across as orangey so you have to work with that.
    The glass tiles are quite reflective in your counter as well. I would try to mock up, with the tiles that you have, an area of full backsplash from counter to cabinet to see how it reflects. I'm wondering if maybe having a glass tile might be the problem. If the tile was matte in a similar colour it might work better.(?)

• catbuilder
    12 years ago

You should never use mastic with glass tile. Always use the type of thinset the tile manufacturer recommends. Grout can dramatically change the look of the tile (even alter the color, as it is seen through the edges). I would suggest making a sample board. Actually adhere the tile to different boards (you can use leftover drywall), and then grout them with a few different colors. You will be amazed at the difference that makes. Since you are worried you won't like this tile, if you have to buy a few extra tiles to make the boards, it will be worth it.

• lisa616
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I totally agree with the pukey green thing. They have to go back. I'll suck up the shipping. I'd rather lose a little money than be unhappy. I honestly didn't think about white? There really isn't any in the tile. However, there is almost a mother of pearl, silvery color. I need to go back to square one and get more samples.

I do need a break from this!! Problem is..my son just had 8...yes, 8 wisdom teeth taken out. So, I've been homebound and keep staring at the backsplash!

Thanks to everyone for their honest opinions and suggestions. This is a great board and I appreciate the help!

• lisa616
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Okay! I'm back....I found this champagne (ivory) colored tile I like. I would do it in subway 2x4. It doesn't come in 3x6 unless I find a look alike. I know it's boring, but I'm thinking since it's glass...it'll be simple and pretty. I started out not wanting contrast..but found that I do need something to contrast with cabinets. So...light or dark...and light seems to be the way popular opinion! I was trying to avoid matching my floor, but that doesn't seem all that likely. I'd also like to do something a little different over stove...so I would love anyone's ideas!! Can't wait to finish this project!

• decordummy_gw
    12 years ago

Hi Lisa616 - just wondering if you finished this project? Will you post pics of it finished?

• lisa616
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hello! I did finally order tiles, but I ended up not going with glass. As much as I wanted it..it just didn't seem to work for me. I went with crackle finish ceramic tile by Sonoma. It's getting installed on thursday. I can't wait to see it! I also used some glass tantrum tiles to get my glass fix :) I'll post pics. Thanks for asking!

• decordummy_gw
    12 years ago

Good luck with everything on Thursday.

• suzanne_sl
    12 years ago

What color, light or dark? And how does a kid get 8 wisdom teeth? Ouch.