SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_19756092

Empty cavern under stairs - Convert to usable space?

User
16 years ago

Our stairwell has unused space under. (Walled off.) The stairwell has three 'runs' of four steps with a landing between each so that the stairs can make two 90° turns. (You start up the stairs facing east and reach the top facing west.)

The area beneath the highest run is a long closet just off of our living room. The character of the stairwell leaves a hollow area in the core of the stairwell. A sort of 'nook'. What I'd like to be able to do is make use of the space under the middle flight of steps.

What I envision is having the area opened up so that I can first get in there to see what I have to work with. Then, instead of a door, I think it would be cool to have a freestanding shelf unit that can roll in and out of the space. The shelf unit would be a snug fit so as to hide the space behind. This would be useful for storing seasonal goods.

Does anyone have any pointers to where I can find information about this? (Comments of "Google" are ... quaint, but not substantial.) I guess this would be two bits of information that I need. Renovating under-stair voids as well as making furniture. Any tips or examples?

Comments (3)