SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bluekitobsessed

Show me the soffit/molding/trim above your window!

bluekitobsessed
16 years ago

I'm looking for photos of the wall/ceiling area above a window between two upper cabinets. I have a common or garden variety layout with window above sink, flanked by upper cabinets. The ceiling was dropped six inches, we assumed we could raise the ceiling and measured all cabinets accordingly, we assumed wrong because of pipes hidden in the dropped area/soffit (longer version explained on a thread from yesterday). The plumber is going to reroute MOST of the problematic pipe, but he believes I will need a soffit/small dropped ceiling extending out to the cabinet depth (12" standard size), about 3 - 4" deep, between the two windows. I thought it would be ok to just drywall the small soffit and suspend a light fixture there. The cabinet people tell me I "have to have" wood trim there, otherwise it would look weird. I know I've seen pix where people have run a wood rail? crown molding? or something? across that area. Please show me anything and help me visualize!

I'm already having 3" crown molding atop both cabinets.

I can't use a fabric valance to disguise; this is more the ceiling than the wall.

Here is a photo from Rejuvenation showing wood trim (the lights are suspended from a "normal" ceiling behind the wood trim, but in my kitchen they would be suspended from a ceiling dropped 3 - 4 inches.

Here is a link that might be useful: Wood trim against ceiling above window

Comments (4)