SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
amemm

Door decisions... Need help.

amemm
15 years ago

We are building a mudroom to our 1950s colonial, and are having a hard time deciding what type of entry door to use.

Wood or fiberglass?

I love the look of wood doors, but our (very practical) contractor is pushing for fiberglass. All our doors are wood now, so I'm wondering how much more superior a fiberglass door is to wood (especially one w a lot of glass).

Glass questions..

Since getting natural light in the room is important, I want the door to be at least 1/2 glass. Neither DH or I want any of the leading/caning art glass looks that seem to be on 99% of the doors sold today. The ones with glass that we like are mostly listed as patio doors.

Is it wise to use a patio door as the entry door to the mudroom? This is the the entrance that is used by both family and guests so I want it to look good, but be sturdy. It will take a lot of abuse from pets and kids, and needs to survive slamming, errant basketballs and wet dog noses.

Is tempered glass standard?

We are on a fairly public, main road. Luckily, we've never had a break-in, but is a glass door like that an invitation to thieves?

Thanks!

Comments (4)