SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
notanexpert

How to hang a swing........in the closet.

notanexpert
11 years ago

I have been on this site for many years but created a new Id today for this post. It is a serious request. We have been married for several years and decided to purchase a swing. Without getting into any unnecessary details, suffice to say that the swing needs to be able to support both of us. (A combined weight of about 330lbs.) The swing looks to be very well made and the manual says it can safely support up to 350 lbs. It has 2 points to attach to the ceiling-1 on each side of the swing. I would like to mount it in our large walk in closet. The walls are 8 feet apart and the ceiling joists are 2x6's on 16" center. I would like to hang the swing on 1 of the ceiling joists with the anchors 3'6" apart. That would put each anchor 2'3" from each wall. The supplied screw in anchors are 1/2" in diameter and 6 inches long. I was going to drill pilot holes in the center of the joist and screw them in. Does all of this seem adequate? I have access to the attic above the closet if I need to do any reinforcing. Thanks in advance for any help on this slightly awkward post.

Comments (16)

Sponsored
Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting Gallery
Average rating: 4.4 out of 5 stars233 Reviews
Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting Gallery