SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
txmarti

How to make the most of this tiny closet?

TxMarti
10 years ago

This is my master bedroom closet, a whopping 5x3.5 feet, 8 feet high.

{{gwi:2074497}}

We use the closet mainly for hanging clothes, and I only have a few dresses, so can stack two rods for the most part. I usually keep my suitcase in this closet, but I need to talk to dh about putting it in the top of another closet.

Here are the configurations I've had since we've lived here.

When we moved in, the closet had one rod on the left and two on the right (one over the other). There were two shelves over the single rod, with a little less than a foot in height for each, and one shelf over the doubled rods, also about a foot or less in height.

{{gwi:2074499}}

That was 10.5 linear feet of hanging space and 10.5 linear feet of shelf space. I had the single rod on the left and half the bottom rod on the right, and dh had the top and half the bottom of the rods on the right. But he wouldn't get rid of his worn out clothes even after buying new clothes and eventually took over the whole bottom rod.

So then I replaced the single rod on the left with 2 rods also. Then dh and I had the same amount of hanging space and I put my few dresses in dd's closet, which didn't work out at all. That gave us 14 linear feet of hanging space and 7 linear feet of shelving space and no hanging space for long things.

And now I have it this way:
{{gwi:2074502}}

with doubled rods along the 5 foot wall, and a one foot rod on the 3.5 foot wall, both with one shelf above, like this:
{{gwi:2074506}}

But with the suitcase above the hanging clothes, it was kind of like this
{{gwi:2074509}}

and really hard for dh to reach anything past the front of the suitcase. It, and the rod made it hard to get anything out. It gave us 11 linear feet of hanging space and accommodated our hanging clothes best, but the hardest to access. It also gave us only 6 linear feet of shelf space.

Now that the kids are gone, I'm thinking I will go back to the doubled rods on both sides as that gave us the greatest amount of rod space, and I can put my long things in one of the other bedroom closets. We really don't need the shelf space as we have a dresser and chest for folded clothes. I think we have some folded clothes in plastic boxes, caps, old purses, and boxed seldom worn shoes/boots, nothing important.

But since we are planning on selling, would that be a turn off to prospective buyers - not to have any space for long things? There's also really no room for shoes with doubled rods as clothes hang just above the floor and the shelf above is really too high to reach. Dh's shoes are in the family room closet (because they smell), and mine are in the hall linen closet.

Is there an option I'm not seeing?

Comments (8)

Sponsored
Custom Premiere Design-Build Contractor | Hilliard, OH