SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
liz_and_kris

Ideas for corner of living room

liz_and_kris
14 years ago

Hello Garden Webbers,

We just bought a home and during the inspection we found out that the wood stove in the living room was not to code. We had the sellers remove and cap it and figured we'd reinstall it correctly once it was ours. After closing on the house, we had a chimney technician come out to look at it and he told us that the chimney was actually too small to be lined and so we wouldn't be able to do an installation to code. My dreams of a sweet hearth in the corner evaporated into the night. Now we have an angled wall in the corner of our living room with a cheap metal cap over where the pipe went into it and a chimney behind it that we can't use.

The only thing we can think of to do is sheetrock over the tile and seal off the chimney. My question is therefore: how would you handle this area from a decorative point of view? Accent it since it's an angled wall? I was thinking of putting up a mantel since we don't have a fireplace anywhere else in the house and I'd like to have some sort of hearth, even if it's a false one. Is that going to look odd? Our house is a 1923 craftsman bungalow that we are trying to restore many of the original features that have been lost over the years. Unfortunately, I don't think that includes the use of the chimney at this point.

Thank you in advance for your input. :)

Comments (19)