SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sailinman_gw

cathedral ceiling without collar ties

sailinman
16 years ago

I am designing an addition with my architect. It will have a 28 foot ridge beam and i am asking that there be no exposed beams other then the ridge beam and no supports in the middle of the room that would interfere with the view of the lake behind the house. His initial reaction was that it couldnt be done. But with some coaxing he has reconsidered. The width of the roof will be 25 feet. His intial design had two addtion parallel beams but the support on the back end required a post in the middle of our kitchen. Another solution had roof trusses perpendicular to the ridge held in place with joists but i again was insistent that there be no cross pieces or collar ties within the cathedral ceiling i wanted it clear. he now says he can do with the one beam (it is massive 28" deep lvl ridge beam using joists to hang the rafters. AFter reading other postings on this sight about someone else that had experienced support walls bowing in a cathedral ceiling without collar ties i am worried that i am pushing for something that is going to cause me to have problems later. He is very meticilus about everything he does so i explained that i didnt want him to please me at the sacrifice of a proper solution. i understand that scissor trusses are an option but they would soften the angle of the roof and the height of the windows so the use of a ridge beam seemed to give me the height i was looking for. Am i pushing for something i am going to regret. Will i end up with bowed side walls? Does the methodology of using joists to hang the rafters take the load off of the side supporting walls eleviating any concern?

Comments (3)