SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kateou_gw

New backsplash = bad tile job

kateou
11 years ago

Hi everyone. I am new to these forums but need some advice. We just decided on and purchased backsplash tile. The contractor who is refinishing the basement told us he could certainly lay them. They are travertine subway tiles laid on a sheet (not individual tiles). When we had a chance to inspect the work they did we were really disappointed. The tiles are unevenly spaced, not level on the wall, slope down in some areas and some are even coming off the wall! Not to mention they used ripped cardboard as spacers (which is now adhered to the mud) and there was mud all over my cabinets, countertops and some of the tiles. The pic shows the big gaps between tiles to thin or no gap. Can you all look and advise me on how to proceed? Is it really that bad? Do they take it down, pay for new tile and redo it? Will it look better once they grout? Should we not pay for the labor? Or do we just live with it? Clearly I am a novice at all things construction related and a new homeowner. Am I just being too picky?

Comments (25)