SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ana_duran10

HELP! Backsplash contractor did horrible job!

Ana Duran
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

**Note: trying to upload images but they're not uploading**

I hired a contractor who had stellar reviews on Thumbtack to install a kitchen backsplash. He told me I didn't have to remove previous backsplash and assured me the new backsplash would still look flat. When the day to do the job came, him and his assistant took over 10 hrs to put in backsplash and werent too careful covering my kitchen which had brand new quartz countertops!

I did miscalculate how many tiles we would need so he was annoyed he was going to have to come back with equipment to finish the last row another day instead of just grouting. After two days he showed up at 9pm to finish that row (for which I gave him $50 extra for the inconvenience to bring equipment) and didn't leave until midnight. Him and his assistant left the place a complete mess and now there's dry grout on the countertops and even on the tiles! I told him I wasn't happy and he said he would come back to clean up and fix a bit of the grout.

Overall I'm really annoyed because:

1) White tiles look uneven (I'm guessing because he didn't remove previous backsplash)

2) Mosaic tiles are also uneven and top and bottom lines were filled with grout so now it looks weird

3) Electric outlets are missing holes to screw in cover

4) The place was left very messy

I did make the horrible mistake to pay him before the job was completed, and now I wish I could get some of the money back. Is there anything I can do?

Comments (27)