SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
desertdw

Tonal decorating --- am I the only one?

dawn25
12 years ago

I've come to realize I decorate in various tones of green and brown with cream (mostly trim) and black, and not much else. I'll throw in an occasional accent of deep red or blue, but never on anything large (it tends to be more incidental, like a scented candle or a painting). My metals are all dark, like pewter or oil rubbed bronze. Sometimes silver sneaks in, but it's almost always a distressed or aged silver.

Last year I tried to break out the box and add turquoise and red accents, but I soon tired of it and that stuff is all at Goodwill now for someone else to enjoy. My neighbor was encouraging me to add some interest to my style. I love what she's done in her home, but it didn't translate well to my space because I couldn't live with it. When I think of the money I wasted, I shudder. I'm sure we've all been there :-D.

I think part of my issue is with anything that "pops". I tend not to like one element sticking out. For example, I picked up a glass base lamp and it was just too shiny for my space so I'm back to my basic ORB lamps with cream shades. My walls are olive green and I'm going to be making slightly darker olive green velvet curtains (there was a turquoise velvet curtain incident--thank goodness I sew or that would have been much more costly than it was, lol). Right now I have drop cloth curtains, and again, they're just too much contrast for me.

I'd describe my overall style as masculine traditional. I like dark jewel tones and dark wood finishes, but I don't like anything too fussy or ornate. Maybe the dislike of contrast is part of the style?

Is anyone else like this, or is it just me? I know I've seen other homes on here and around the internet that are decorated like mine, but I wonder if anyone else has experienced this dislike of anything that stands out. I think it's a psychological need to have things that are soothing to my eye.

Comments (11)

Sponsored
Daniel Russo Home
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars13 Reviews
Premier Interior Design Team Transforming Spaces in Franklin County