SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
zeebee_gw

Lots of remodeling - in what order do we proceed?

zeebee
16 years ago

Huh.

DH and I are closing on a new house in a few weeks and we have a laundry list of improvements we'd like to make over the next few years: new kitchen, remodel two baths and add a third, add central air, (*dream of*) adding a 1/2 floor onto the top of the house, plus strip wallpaper and paint throughout. We were planning to cherry-pick our projects as finances and perceived convenience/desirability allow: A/C first, then baths, kitchen, cosmetics and the 1/2 floor last.

I mentioned our plans to a friend and he strongly recommended starting from the top floor and working down. He thought we should tackle anything structural first (the 1/2 floor and central a/c) and allow any fallout from that to settle itself before we undertook other projects.

Is this the sensible way to approach the project? We had thought we'd do the 1/2 floor after a few years of living in the place, but if it makes sense to do it first, we will. We will be getting architectural and engineering plans for the whole shebang.

I'd never thought of a particular order beyond what we want to be able to use first.

Thanks in advance for any feedback!

Comments (7)