SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
missmuffet_gw

How low can a header go?? Help.

missmuffet
13 years ago

I posted this on the kitchen site (as that is where I've been hanging out lately), but was hoping that someone over here might be able to help. Here's my original post and some responses thus far:

So they have begun knocking down my supporting walls (yikes), and now I'm second guessing things. Specifically, the contractor is putting in two headers to hold up the second floor of the house - good idea not to have the house drop in. However, the headers look much lower than I imagined they would. Can anyone give me an idea of what an acceptable height for a header would be? If my ceilings are only 8 foot and these things are another foot below that - am I crazy??? Help. I'm feeling a bit sea sick.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Follow-Up Postings:

RE: how low can a header go? please help clip this post email this post what is this?

see most clipped and recent clippings

Posted by sue36 (My Page) on Sat, Sep 18, 10 at 23:52

Is this going to look like a framed opening or just a beam hanging down? If a beam, I think it will look low.

Headers should be engineered based on the load and the width of the opening. Dimensional lumber results in a larger header. You can used an engineered product or steel and the header will be smaller.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

RE: how low can a header go? please help clip this post email this post what is this?

Posted by manhattan42 (My Page) on Sun, Sep 19, 10 at 8:10

Code required minimum height under a header or beam is 6'8". (80")

Thats the same height as a doorway opening.

If your headers are 12" below ceiling height, they will be 84"...slightly above door opening height and well above minimum.

------------

One way to reduce the header projection below the ceiling or to eliminate it altogether is to build what is called a 'blind header'.

A 'blind header' is built right up into the ceiling. Rather than support the joists under the ceiling, the joists are attached to it.

The result is a flush ceiling or a much less pronounced projection of the header below ceiling level.

See if it is possible for your builder to use this technique.

Posted by missmuffet (My Page) on Sun, Sep 19, 10 at 9:12

Thank you both so much for responding.

Sue36 - It will look like a beam, and there will be two intersecting each other. We had asked our contractor about using steel and he said that it flexes more than the engineered product. He is using an LVL-LAM beam (a double 2x12 that is spanning 12 feet.

Manhattan42 - I'm curious about the blind header. How does a blind header attach to the existing joist and still support the weight of the wall? Even if I could reduce these headers by six inches, it would be fantastic.

Comments (2)