SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
2ajsmama

How low can they go?

2ajsmama
9 years ago

Lots of threads about seedlings and how cold can they tolerate in spring. There's an excellent post by DarJones on growing temperatures, in which he said that cold effects (on mature plants) can be reversed by raising the temperature (in a GH/HT) above 90 for the same length of time they were too cold (32 to 50).

But I'm wondering if you can't do that, and can't cover 7ft tall plants, will they survive and continue to ripen fruit after say a couple of nights in the mid-40's, another at 50, next at 40, next few at 50, if the days are in the mid-60's? That's what it looks like at the end of Sept/beg of Oct here on Accuweather. We normally have lows in the mid-40's then and they ripen fine, but will the one 40 (maybe even 38-39) degree night kill them or make the fruit mushy?

So many times last fall we had frost warnings and the kids and I ran out to pick green tomatoes, then lows didn't get as low as predicted. I'd like to avoid the racks of green tomatoes that rotted instead of ripening in my basement this year.

I'm also wondering about peppers - will a 40 degree night kill them? I'm not sure we're going to be able to get the plastic up on the tunnel this month b/c they JUST charged the credit card for the wiggle wire, who knows when that's coming and DH has a business trip the end of the month.

Comments (15)